Mystery Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joyceman

Reaction score
Got this as part of a craigslist purchase. The seller doesnt know what it contains. Total weight is 3 lbs.

Im pretty sure its all specialty grains as this came packaged with a 3lb bag of malt extract. But there might be a lb of base if its a PM kit. Looks like some roasted barley, chocolate or black patent mixed with maybe carapils and a crystal.

So... Any guesses what might be in this? Any suggestions for using it? I'm tempted to try it with a Black IPA, but Im afraid there may be too much roasted barley in there. Safe choice would be a porter or stout.

This is pretty much a crap shoot so Im open to suggestions.

grains 001.jpg

grains 002.jpg

That's a lot of black patent... I'd probably stick with Porter or Stout.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Home Brew mobile app

Yeah, i think ill do a porter. Maybe age it on some bourbon cubes. It'll probably be one of my best beers ever & ill have no way of replicating it.

Put 3/4 cup of water in a coffee cup. Heat it to 158-160 F. Stir in a tablespoon or 2 of the mystery grains. If it has base malts there should be starches that give the water a hazy look that will start to clear in about 10 or 15 minutes as enzymes work on the starches. If it doesn't turn hazy, no base malts. If it gets hazy and then clears, there is at least a little base malt and the enzymes are still active.

Mash it separately while you mash a session pale. See what flavor and color comes out. If it taste good and you like the color, dump in the pale ale mash

I opened it up and tasted the grains. Taste was fine, but definitely a stout. You could taste the acrid roasted barley. I added 6lbs of 2 row and a lb of unmalted barley and mashed it. Ended up with an OG of 1.054. Sweet wort tasted good.

I wont be too put out if it comes out terrible. I'll be out for the two row/barley and an ounce of hops. Id be more upset about tying up a fermenter for 3-4 weeks with a crap batch.

Back