Mystery bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

html034

Reaction score
I just found an unidentifiable bottle of homebrew, which is at least a year old. I am excited to find out what it is. I think it may be Apfelwein. Hopefully it's drinkable.:mug:

I got a bunch of empties from my brother in law and among them were 2 Grolsch bottles of some kind of ancient goodness.

About a month ago I was drunk and grabbed the wrong bottle out of the basement by accident. It was an ~18 month old imperial stout instead of the ~1 month old ginger pale ale I meant to snag :cross: I was pretty pissed at myself when I started pouring and noticed "WTF this is midnight black, what is... oh god"

For better or worse, it was oxidized and ****ty anyway so at least I didn't waste an amazing brew on a random weekend bender.

I wish you better luck with your mystery beer!

In the Dec 07 Zymurgy Charlie Papazian reviewed bottles of homebrew going back to the first AHC competition that he had stored, and none of them went bad, some had not held up but most of them he felt were awesome...We're talking over 20 years worth of beers.

Since nothing pathogenic can grow in beer, there's no worry needed about getting sick from them. All that can happen is that they may not have held up over time.

This is a great thread about one of our guys tasting 4-5 years of his stored brew.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/revisiting-my-classics-160672/

Beer's like wine, a lot of them improve with age....That's why stone has "vertical epic" with vintage, and people have vertical tasting parties...Our beer is really no different, it's not something "less than." Or isn't "real beer" it really is no different, just becuse you make it at home. High grav beers can last a long time...even lower or medium grav ones can, though they will loose some of their "oomph" over time. For example a really hoppy IPA might end up being a pretty tasty pale ale in a year or so. Still drinkable, still good, but not the same.

I'm looking at brewing a biiiiiiiig barleywine in a few weeks, to lay up til my 50th birthday. I turned 45 on the 27th, so I thought this would be a great thing to do.

That's a good idea Rev. I intended to brew a wheat wine when my first son was born to age until his 21st, but deployments got in the way. So I decided to do it when my second son was born, but make a WW and a RIS. Well, deployments got in the way again. So one day I'll get to make them and hold them for at least 15 or so years. I polished off my last bottle of RIS that was five years old. I almost cried the entire time knowing it was my last - and it definitely got better with age. It was only about 11% ABV though. My BW (~12% ABV)that was just as old got a lot sweeter and wasn't as good. If I go with aging BW again I will up the IBUs significantly.

How big are you thinking of going on your BW?

Hmmm. i have bottles of my very first few extract brews. They've got to be around 14 years old. One is an Irish Red and the other is a garbage brew with smoked back tea added. I recall they may have had a little band-aid in them at the time. I wonder if that's subsided. :)

18 months isn't that old. I've found several old homebrews on occasion, and most have held up extremely well

How big are you thinking of going on your BW?

I don't know...Brew day is on the 19th. A bunch of us are making it a party. I haven't worked out a recipe yet. I'm prolly going to post a thread on here in the next couple of days asking for help/ideas. I'm kind of leaning towards utopia-esque strength.. ;)

Someone at work found an old bottle of Schlitz that his partner left under the sink (must have served in Europe at some point).

Anyway, they were only from 2005, so not as old as he thought. And not terrible except pretty stale tasting. Def. oxidized, but other than that no real bad flavors. I only drank one.

Latest posts

Back