Mystery beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carnevoodoo

Reaction score
So yesterday after work, I swung by the Home Brew Mart to pick up the grain I needed for an IPA I was going to make today. I put it all in a bucket and put the bucket aside so they can mill the grain, and I am at the back counter trying a couple of the brewery's beers when the guy who crushed my grain comes by and sets it on the front counter.

I go up to pay, and I grab the bag of grain sitting there, and I come home. Needless to say, I wasn't paying any attention at all, and I grabbed the wrong bag. It is obviously like 5 pounds lighter than the bag I was supposed to take, but I didn't notice.

I'm going to mash in today, I open the bag, start to dump, and the water pretty much turned black instantly. And it smelled very roasty.

So I'm making a stout today? Who knows. I mashed really thin because of the discrepancy in the amount of grain in the two bags. I called the store, they still had my grain with my name written on it, and I went to pick it up along with some Irish ale yeast.

So I have no idea what I'm making, I can't really plan my sparge until I know how much wort I collected, and because the mash is thin, I'm in for an extra 30 minutes on my mash. Yay!

The good news is that I get to brew an IPA tomorrow and whatever this beer will be is a bonus.

its going to be the best beer ever

Hmm, I don't know about that. I am coming to think this might have been the grain bill for a partial mash imperial stout. Just looking at the grain is making me think that there is something missing.

So I am going to finish the boil, ferment it, and see what it is. Then I will likely blend it with something else.

Back