My Wyeast have unionized

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miclip

Reaction score
Bought a black IPA kit from northern brewer and choose the wyeast American ale ii. Pitched at the correct temp and aerated, waited 3 days and nothing happened, nothing on top of the wort, they're on strike (or dead)!

So I bought some white labs yeast from my LHBS, those scabs started doing their thing overnight and its fermenting away like a champ.

Do people normally order yeast online, does this happen a lot? The inner packet did seem intact although I smacked it a day early as brew day had to be moved last minute.

Did it swell? If it swelled up then you have viable yeast. Just cause you dont see krausen, doesnt mean there is no fermentation taking place.
-Jefe-

I have had this same problem I posted just earlier today. Seems as though my nutrient pack didnt burst and I also order my yeast online. I happen to order this time from northern brewer and chose a Wyeast yeast, which they are replacing with out any questions btw. I smaked my packet also and didnt know why it didnt swell.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/starter-fail-268050/

here is my link.

Thanks, It didn't swell that much hardly noticeable and the nutrient pouch was open when I looked after. There was no airlock activity as well.

How much should it swell?

The nutrient pack doesn't have to bust to have proper fermentation, per FAQ on their website. When it swells it gets pretty tight. When my nutrient pack barely busted mine still swelled half way over night pitched it without a hitch into my starter!

It should swell so much it looks like its going to burst.

It doesn't need to, per Wyeast's website and personal experience.

HOWEVER, I will just say that with that kit, you do need to make a sizable starter or you will not get proper attenuation. That kit was the last extract batch I ever brewed. I pitched a swollen smack pack, shook it and let it be around 68*. Little guy never even had a fighting chance, petered out at 1.020. Bottled it hoping for the best... worst beer I ever made. Tasted like a sweet oil slick. Terrible.

Had I pitched properly, it would have had a better chance. I've made a starter ever since.

Yikes, well there's 2 different brands of yeast in there now. Hopefully it doesn't taste like a sweet oil slick

The first was the wyeast american ale II that came with the kit. After that didn't seem to work I bought a white labs american ale (WLP060) from my LHBS.

What impact will that have?

If the first pack was truly a dud and didn’t ferment, then the only impact I can imagine will be an extra layer of yeast on the bottom of the carboy. You’ll have a beer brewed with WLP060. But I’d be surprised if the first pack didn’t do ANYTHING. It sounds like viability wasn’t optimal, but I’d still bet you got some activity from them. Your 2 yeast strains fairly pretty similar, so I don’t think there should be any odd flavors based solely on the yeast blend.

Starters, starters, starters. And then pure O2. Just do it.

Latest posts

Back