My Temp.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhoenixCoyote

Reaction score
Hi Brewers,
I should know my answer to this, but it has been a couple years since brewing. I got one of the AHS $20 specials. The English Pale Ale. Extract. I had to do this is 2 pots, then combined them. I do not have a wort chiller, and after reading more on here, i boiled water, cooled it, and placed in plastic bags to freeze. I added the ice to the wort to chill it. It worked great. Got the temp down to 80 in under 30 minutes.

The kit did not offer what kind of dry yeast to use, so i ordered the Danstar Windsor British Style, since i was making an english ale. I got done about midnight, 7am the next morning, it was a constant bubbling in the airlock. Now after 2 days, it is only every minute or so.

I have my primary in my closet, the temps are from 78 to 82. Are these temps ok to ferment at? In the past, since living in AZ, i would put the primary in a rubber tub with 2 liter ice bottles. But since it is not summer yet here, i thought it would be ok without doing that.

Just wondering if the temps are too high, and if so, i am hoping my beer will still be ok. Thanks!

WAY TO HIGH. you need to be around 65, 72 is like the highest you want to go.

Ferm temps are way to high. That yeast should be fermenting between 65 and 70F. If you want your beer to ferment around 68F, your ambient temp during active fermentation will be around 63 to 64F. The higher the fermentation temps the more off flavors you will get. Sometimes letting an electric fan blow on your fermenter will help cool it down. All you can do now is wait and see how it turns out.

Ferm temps are way to high. That yeast should be fermenting between 65 and 70F. If you want your beer to ferment around 68F, your ambient temp during active fermentation will be around 63 to 64F. The higher the fermentation temps the more off flavors you will get. Sometimes letting an electric fan blow on your fermenter will help cool it down. All you can do now is wait and see how it turns out.

Thanks, lesson learned. No matter what, put primary in my rubber tub with ice bottles, and if necessary, wet t-shirt and fan as i did before.

Thanks, will my beer still be ok? Even if i bring the temp down, the aggressive fermentation is over.

Try to cool it down and let it ferment for 3 or 4 weeks. The longer ferment time will help to resolve any off flavors that may have happened during the active stage at the higher temps.

Latest posts

Back