My tasting notes for Bohemian Pils over a week of bottle conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shiggity

Reaction score
After a week of bottle conditioning (at around 67 degrees) a Bohemian "Pilsner" (actually an Ale) I couldn’t take it anymore and I started cracking bottles. Here are my tasting notes over that week. The quality improved steadily and notably each day past the one week mark I let the bottles sit.

Notes:
- I fermented what was otherwise a Bohemian Pilsner recipe using Ale yeast, specifically Danstar Nottingham ale yeast, at around 68-69 degrees.
- I used Irish moss in this recipe but did not cold crash it.
- One week primary, two weeks in secondary. FG delta was negligible about 60 hours apart.

One week - Friday:
- Beer 1, flat. Sugary. Discarded.
- Beer 2, less flat. Chemical taste, almost like chlorine, though the source water was non-chlorinated.
- Beer 3, less flat than beer 2. Same chemical taste. Like watered-down beer

Saturday:
Not flat, but not yet up to carbonation. Same chemical taste, or like a flower got into the beer and gave birth to more flowers. Still too sweet.

Sunday-Monday:
Still not quite up to carbonation. Faint finishing notes of apricot competing with chemical taste. Chemical taste is annoying, drinking it anyway.

Tuesday:
Carbonated proper. Finishing notes more prevalent. Chemical taste less prevalent.

Wednesday:
Carbonated. Chemical taste almost undetectable. Dryer. A pleasantly balanced, bitter apricot finish. Did not flatten as quickly.

Thursday, Friday, Saturday:
On Friday I put the remaining bottles in the fridge.
- One bottle flat but not sugary, suspect leakage, discarded
- The rest carbonated, with a more-malty taste and more subtle apricot. No unwanted intermingling tastes. Head was creamier and dispersed less quickly.

Sunday:
- I ran out

Very cool little observational timeline!

Too bad it caused you to run out of beer and discard all those potentially delicious ones at the beginning!

agree, i hadn't brewed in a while and was overanxious. haha i'm going to be more patient from now on

Back