My Stout is too Sweet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First thing I'd try is a different yeast. WLP007 or 001. To get it even less sweet you can drop the crystal to 1/2 pound

Maybe cut back on the carapils? I think 4 oz would cut back the sweetness but it should still be enough for the body.

whats your OG / FG?
Higher bitterness looks like it might balance it out a bit.
Depending on you gravity obviously.

if you could post the whole recipe, i think it would help (og/FG, mash temp, etc), but that said, I would second the yeast change option. I like using San Diego super yeast (attenuates like 001 but i like it a bit better) and then just increase mash temp so you dont dry it out so much, but it could leave you a little flat in the flavor department. My favorite stout yeast right now though is irish ale 004 (amazing flavor profile) but 007 would be an excellent choice too. Lots of options but yeast choice would be first to get better attenuation. IMO, the recipe is solid.

So this is really tough to respond to because we don't have all the information. As others have said we need the full recipe and notes from the brew day including OG, FG, Mash Temp, boil time, batch size, AA% of hops, etc. but with this information here's my guesses...

I would cut the crystal in half and add half a pound of oats. The oats will help with the body of the beer keeping it full. If it's too sweet because of under attenuation you'll need to either

1) look at your yeast as others have suggested and adjust it for a more attenuative strain, or

2) lower your mash temperature to increase the amount of maltose in the beer. The lower mash temperature will create a more fermentable wort which in turn will reduce the sweetness of the beer in general. Depending on where this beer was originally mashed at, bring it down 4-5 degrees. 149 F range is a good number to target to favor beta amylase conversion while still allowing the alpha amylase to create some longer chained, less fermentable sugars to add some body. or

3) Add more bitterness to the beer through early hop additions. Increasing the bitterness will help to reduce the perception of sweetness in general although this should be the last thing that is done in my opinion. This depends heavily on where your BU:GU ratio lands and without the AA% and batch size, I don't know where you are currently.

Thanks for all the responses. I've been out of town on business all week and haven't had much chance to look at HBT but I'm stuck in the Denver airport for a couple more hours and finally got my chance.

I was thinking a different yeast and will take a look at other suggestions, too. When I get home I'll post the entire recipe and see what else I might tweak.

Thanks again for all your input.

Remove the crystal and carapils, add more bittering hops to bring IBU up to at least 50.

Here is more detail on the BIAB brew session. Target OG was 1.066, FG 1.024. Actual was 1.064 and 1.022. Mashed in7.5 gallons at 155F for 60 minutes. Fermented @ 65F for 15 days then cold crashed for 2 days before kegging.

I'll keep brewing this until I get what I'm looking for and only change one thing at a time so I can learn what the effect is on each change. I will start with a yeast change that attenuates more and go from there.

I'll report back here with the results.

Mashed in7.5 gallons at 155F for 60 minutes.

That's a pretty high temperature, in particular if you are having too much residual sweetness in your beer. I would drop this to 152F and see if you have more balance. This should reduce the non-fermentable sugar content in your wort, leading to less sweetness in the finished beer.

EDIT:

I just re-read what you posted and noticed it was BIAB. I'm not familiar with any specific temperature considerations of BIAB. My reference is all grain. I assume that they are fairly similar but if there are specifics for BIAB someone else would need to chime in!

Last edited:
Lower the mash temp

Yeast is fine, just temp ramp at day 3. If you use a us strain you'll lose the character the yeast imparts. 002 can get a dry beer if you treat it right, that means mash appropriately and ramp so it finishes up.

Carapils doesn't add much sweetness, but you could sub it for flaked barley.

You could up the IBU's too, especially if you decide to keep the mash high. But the risk is it with still taste too sweet, just with a bitter aftertaste.

Back