My SNPA clone is a near dead ringer for Sam Adams Boston Lager...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lounge Lizard

Reaction score
For anyone who is interested:

7.5 lbs light DME
4 oz 60L crystal malt (steeped)
1/4 lb malto dextrin
1 tsp Irish Moss

1 oz Nugget 60 minutes
1 oz Perle for 15 minutes
1 oz Cascade for 1 minute
.5 oz Cascade dry hop

WL California Ale yeast

2.5 gallon boil topped up to five.

-----------------

My brew is darker than Sam Adams, but I think if I would have added half the DME towards the end of the boil, it would be a lot lighter.

I also have more of a Cascade taste than Sam Adams, but it has only been in the bottles for 12 days.

First sip, I said: this isn't SNPA, it is Sam Adams Boston Lager. That's still a good thing! :D

Next time I try to clone SNPA, I will use Magnum, Perle and Cascades like the SN website says....

After three weeks in the bottles, I have to retract part of what I said above. This beer is SO much better than Sam Adams Boston Lager. Not even close any more.

Yowzer!

I think my next PA recipe I'll be switching over to the Cali Ale Yeast. My SNPA clone called for Wyeast 1056.

Your Perle as a flavor hop is also interesting. I just may have to do that!

Anyone that asks me what kinda "micro" they should drink/try...I tell em to go get a sixer of Sam Adams Boston Lager.

why cali over 1056? I just did a SNPA clone w/ Perle and Cascades and 1056, it's great. What is it that you think the other yeast will improve on? just wondering

Back