My SMaSH is no longer a SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troutman35

Reaction score
The perils of not labeling buckets and carboys. I went to rack and dry hop a pale ale I concocted the other night. After adding an oz of cascades to the carboy, I proceeded to bottling a batch of NB's SMaSH session ale. It was then that I realized the beer I had racked and dry hooped was the SMaSH. Oops. Gonna let it ride a few more days and see where it takes me. I figure it will either suck or be a happy accident. 23 years of brewing and this was the first time I made that mistake (I've made about every other).

Any idea on how the cascades will play with Simcoes? Kind of looking forward to see how this turns out.

I should own stock in Post It Notes! They are on all my buckets, carboys, and boxed up beers...that's just my brewing and wine making! They are stuck all around my monitor and office walls...they are everywhere!

Now, all I have to is remember to read the dang things! But, sometimes they do help. Just a thought.

well, actually... extract contains some caramel/crystal, so it's not technically a SMaSH

but who cares about that...

Cascade and Simcoe work very well together, including in one of my favorite IPAs, Devil's Backbone 8 Point IPA

edit: just read that kit's ingredients, which includes Pilsner extract. that contains Carapils

that 8 Point IPA is also made with Pilsner malt, so yours should be a tasty brew

Thanks. I've had a Simcoe / Chinook pale ale before that I really enjoyed... Saranac Winter IPA. The NB kit is lower gravity than the Devils Backbone, so not sure if it will be off kilter. I love the kit as is... My 5th time brewing this one in the last year. Thanks for the info on the Pilsner extract!

I should own stock in Post It Notes! They are on all my buckets, carboys, and boxed up beers...that's just my brewing and wine making! They are stuck all around my monitor and office walls...they are everywhere!

Now, all I have to is remember to read the dang things! But, sometimes they do help. Just a thought.

Just a reminder..

2_low.jpg

Personally I prefer blue painters tape to label my fermenters, after kegging I can peel it off and stick it on the keg without worrying about it falling off..

Looks good, glad it worked out!

I use masking tape and a marker. I note the beer name, date, and OG. Every time I take a reading or touch the beer at all, it gets more tape, date, and details (SG reading, dry hop, added, racked).

That said, I started this because I did something similar. I had a pale ale that I was planning to dry hop and accidentally dry hopped the wrong bucket - a brown. Not the end of the world, but not what I was planning.

I have all my kegs and fermentors marked with stick-on letters (kegs) and numbers (fermentors). I keep a whiteboard in my brewing area with a list of everything in process along with relevant information (brew date, package date, OG, FG, abv, etc).

I also generally write on the carboys directly with a sharpie. I've had issues with painters tape and post-its falling off or getting wet, the sharpie is permanent until I clean it off with an alcohol swab.

Latest posts

Back