My Single-Tier Propane/Electric Hybrid Brew Rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
any chance you could post some pics of your in place IC and the HERMS HEX? I am thinking of doing the same thing but with stainless steel coils...

I'll try to take some pics tonight. I basically put 90° brass 1/2" ntp to 3/8" flare connectors on the inside of the bulkhead couplings, then flared the ends of the copper coils to attach.

Build looks top notch. Quick question, where did you get those thermometers from? I am a fan of the 5" face and the hinge feature similar to the brewmometer...

I just searched eBay often for 5" dial thermometer paying close attention to stem length, & temp range. With some patience I got them pretty cheap. They are freaking big though, and sometimes seem like overkill. I put a 3" dial on my BK, though I only really use it to monitor temp during the whirlpool/chill.

I'll try to take some pics tonight. I basically put 90° brass 1/2" ntp to 3/8" flare connectors on the inside of the bulkhead couplings, then flared the ends of the copper coils to attach.

Why did you choose copper over SS? How do u clean the copper?

J-Malone said:
Why did you choose copper over SS? How do u clean the copper?

Copper is cheaper, easier to find, easier to bend, and transfers heat better than stainless. I keep it clean with PBW every few batches, and don't worry about it tarnishing.

Sounds like your coil is attached similar to my system's original configuration.

DSC05009.jpg

Sounds like your coil is attached similar to my system's original configuration.

DSC05009.jpg

I like the way this looks...I am always concerned with cleaning, Isnt there an issue with copper and oxygen based cleaners? Or am I thinking about something else?

Do you think compression fittings would work? Is there a particular advantage to the flare connections?

All the info is in my build thread, don't wanna highjack diatonic's thread.

And no, you don't need that much copper, I've reconfigured my system since then.

I like the way this looks...I am always concerned with cleaning, Isnt there an issue with copper and oxygen based cleaners? Or am I thinking about something else?

Do you think compression fittings would work? Is there a particular advantage to the flare connections?

Yes, comp fittings will work just as well. I choose comp fittings because I can good quality ones for cheap. Besides that, it's just a personal preference to choose one over the other.

This stand desperately needs a 01 printed on it somewhere and to be dubed
The General!!!
nice work,

Why are you drilling the burner? If using the banjo designed for low pressure do you have to drill

This stand desperately needs a 01 printed on it somewhere and to be dubed
The General!!!
nice work,

Haha. Thanks :mug:

Why are you drilling the burner? If using the banjo designed for low pressure do you have to drill

I didn't drill the orifices on my BG14s. They're designed for HP propane. I run them at about 10psi. I've since replaced my propane hose with a POL fitting on each end. The old connector would restrict flow when I was cranking both burners.

Here's a crappy iPhone photo of the inside of my HLT (ignore the standing water, leftover from last batch.)

image-1600788824.jpg

Here's some info I sent responding to a PM that may be helpful. A cut sheet for my stand, and a link to the AutoCAD drawing for my stand:

This is what I have for a cut sheet:

Code:
 QTY  Length   Purpose
 4    20"      Vertical Corner Supports
 2    17"      Vertical Mid Supports
 3    59"      Main Horizontal Beams
 1    58 7/8"  Gas Beam
 9    13.5"    Kettle Supports/Bottom front to back

Total - 39.3 Feet

You can download my blueprints here.

diatonic said:
Haha. Thanks :mug:

I didn't drill the orifices on my BG14s. They're designed for HP propane. I run them at about 10psi. I've since replaced my propane hose with a POL fitting on each end. The old connector would restrict flow when I was cranking both burners.

What is a p o l fitting

The POL fittings look like this. It is a straight-through design, with no excess flow safety valve.

6Yow0.gif

I haven't yet. Wife lost her job shortly after building the rig & haven't put the circuit in the garage yet. :( brewing right now with propane though!

Sub. Nice setup and well thought out. Lots of little important details I need to account for.

Back