My shortest lag time ever using bottled slurry.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerbeque

Reaction score
My most recent ale had the shortest lag time ever and a very vigorous ferment using bottled slurry. Here's what I did. When I bottled my previous batch (Pale) that I fermented with a packet of US-05, I swirled the slurry in the carboy, poured some slurry into a sanitized glass coffee press pot and then poured the slurry from the press pot into a sanitized 12 oz bottle. I capped the bottle and put it in the fridge. Two weeks later I brewed another batch of Pale Ale and pitched that bottle of slurry. Much of the slurry stuck to the inside of the bottle so I poured ~2oz of sterile water into the bottle , swirled, and poured the rest into the new wort. I then agitated the carboy for two minutes. Well, 4 hours later it was already bubbling up so I attached a blowoff tube and the next morning it was blowing off big time. I'm really happy with the performance of the free reused yeast and the simplicity of the technique. Have any of you guys tried this simple way of reusing yeast?

doesn't surpirise me with your results, repitching yeast gives you a good pitching rate. Also from what I've heard from Jamil Zanishef, yeast preform better on the second and subsequent generations. I've seen similar results repitching as well. I think about 6 hours is the best ive seen though.

I just harvested some 1056 from an APA that I bottled last week, and pitched it into a Robust Porter. It had some lag time due to low temps, but now it is going strong with a blow-off tube. The yeast is third generation. I am just starting to reuse yeast and agree that it is simple and productive! And it saves money to boot! Wins all around.

I often plan my brews around reusing the yeast. I bottle on brew day and take some yeast from the fermenter and use it for a brew that same day. Always takes off quickly and ferments out well.

Saves a lot of money.

Repitching is unquestionably the best way to go, provided you can meet two conditions:

(1) keep everything involved in the process clean and sanitized

(2) pitch the proper amount of yeast. Don't pitch two cups just 'cuz that's what you have from your previous beer--pitch the right number of cells.

Back