My second parti gyle - IPA and APL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-Train

Reaction score
Here's what I brewed 9 days ago. This is my second parti gyle. What do you think?

Mash ~
22.00 lb Golden Promise (Simpsons) (2.0 SRM) 90.5 %
1.00 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) 4.1 %
1.00 lb Light Carastan (15.0 SRM) 4.1 %
0.30 lb Acidulated (Weyermann) (1.8 SRM) 1.2 %

Cap final batch sparge with 0.5 lb medium english crystal (50-60L).

Mash at 150F for 60 minutes, batch sparge.

Collect 3 runnings. Blend the runnings to pre-boil 7.1 gallons at 1.058 and 7.0 gallons at 1.044. All of the second runnings go to beer #1 and all of the third runnings with the english crystal go to beer #2. The first runnings are split.

Beer #1 (India Pale Ale) is OG 1.068, 70 IBU's, 4.9 SRM ~
1 oz Warrior at 60 minutes
3 oz (1 oz ea. Citra, Mosaic, Centennial) flameout for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally
3 oz (1 oz ea. Citra, Mosaic, Centennial) dry hop after 5 days
3 oz (1 oz ea. Citra, Mosaic, Centennial) keg hop
WY1318 London Ale III

Beer #2 (American Pale Lager) is OG 1.053, 45 IBU's, 6.8 SRM ~
0.5 oz Warrior at 60 minutes
1 oz (0.5 oz ea. Cascade and CTZ) at 15 minutes
1 oz (0.5 oz ea. Cascade and CTZ) at 5 minutes
2 oz (1 oz ea. Simcoe and CTZ) dry hop after 9 days
WY2124 Bohemian Lager

Both should be kegged within the next week. I'll report back on the results.

Crickets in here for sure. That's ok the beers came put great. The real surprise was the hoppy lager. The WY2124 yeast has a slight fruitiness that complements hops well. I didn't realize it has that component until I brewed an Oktoberfest with it and didn't care for that.

Here's the IPA. My first time using London Ale III and it's very hazy just like they say.

image.jpg

A damn fine duo... I like how you split ale and lager styles. Or was the lager done like a steam beer?

I rebrewed this and kegged the IPA a couple of days ago. The lager is sitting on the 3rd day of dry hops right now. I forgot that I used simcoe and went off memory by using cascade and ctz as the dry hops this time. Oh well.

I'm setup with a temp controller and ferm fridge so I do my lagers in the traditional style at low temps, though I do find that WY2124 gets a little fruity and fermented this a little higher at 54 or so. The first time I realized that WY2124 was fruity my neighbor had my oktoberfest and said tastes good, a little fruity. That annoyed me but I realized he was right and 2124 does kick out some esters. Next oktoberfest will be white labs bock yeast, but I digress...

How was IPA? Looking at the hops you used for a northeast IPA. Love 1318 for my favorite yeast. Thanks

I love the citra-mosaic-centennial combo. I did a hop test by dry hopping miller high life bottles with a different hop per bottle, and then blended in glasses. This was my favorite. In my opinion mosaic needs to be cut to 1/3 otherwise it gets too overpowering, though it does make a fine single hop beer too.

looks like an American IPA and Bohemian Pale Lager... well done btw. Your APL is more to the #'s of a bohemian pilsner and the yeast was a good choice. I would assume the 60 min warrior to dominate the cascade and simcoe, but Columbus will stand strong on pretty much anything you put it in. I like it but it is assertive. Glad all is well! I think you will like wlp833, I do anyway

Back