My second brew!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cuchalain

Reaction score
I finally found a beer store close to my house! So I looked up recipes and found this one, it was rated at beginner pm, so I thought it would be perfect for my second batch. Recipe is:
6.6lbs of unhopped dme
3.3lb amber dme grains (milled)
1lb of Chocolate Malt
1lb of black patent malt
1/2lb of munich malt
1lb of roasted barley
2oz of northern brewer malt
1oz of cascade finnishing
1tsp of irish moss
2 packages of dried ale yeast

The original recipe was stroke of midnight chocalte I, but the guy at the brew store said the small amendments above would make it better fit my taste according to what I like. It's fermenting now and bubbling away. Smelled and tasted excellent. So... I was thinking of dropping a small piece of godiva choc. in the bottom of each bottle during bottling. Any ideas on this or anyone tried it? Also, do you think any dry hopping will be neccesary? Or do you think I have enough hops already?

Thx all
Cuch.

With a pound of chocolate malt, a pound of black patent, and a pound of roasted barley, I doubt you'll taste any hops anyway. I assume the northern brewer were hops, added at 60 minutes? It says malt, but I assume hops. I don't know what some of the other ingredients are, like amber DME grain.

A stout generally doesn't have hops flavor, and definitely not dryhopping. That's an unusual recipe, I don't think I've seen one like that before. Where did you get it?

I just typed home brewer recipes into google and the one I saw a lot was stroke of midnight, so I printed it off and took it to the brew store, and the beer guy there helped me amend it. And yes the northern is hops, sorry for the typo.

I just typed home brewer recipes into google and the one I saw a lot was stroke of midnight, so I printed it off and took it to the brew store, and the beer guy there helped me amend it. And yes the northern is hops, sorry for the typo.

It's ok, I sort of figured most of it out. Not the amber DME grains- milled. I have no idea what that is.

That recipe is a bit, well, unusual. Black patent is harsh and burnt and astringent, and a pound of it is a lot. I'm not a fan, but with some time that beer can mellow and be what you are looking for, in a dark roasty stout.

I'd suggest finding another recipe right away- a lighter, lower ABV beer that can be ready to drink while you're waiting for the stout.

I hope you like roasty flavor. I wouldnt have even used any finishing hops in this. This recipe sounds like a good recipe if you were to cut all the specialty grains to at least half of what you have there.

I wouldnt add any chcocolate, and if I did I would use coca powder. The milk chocolate has oils that will obliterate your head retention, may cause bottle bombs, and who knows the result.

I agree with with yooperbrew, brew up a cream of three crops, a wheat, or Edowrts haus pale ale right away.

Back