My second brew fermenting, feelin fine!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLodger

Reaction score
Used an IPA kit from Better Brew. Had specialty grains and everything (spilled some Victory which made me a sad panda) After a few days of crazy fermenting, it subsided, took a gravity reading, and it tasted fantastic.

Anyhoo, quick question, some green schmutz (I've been in New York too long) was on the top, which I'm pretty sure is hop stuff. Do I filter it out when I bottle or do the yeasties send that jazz to the trub?

As usual, thanks a bunch! Started reading "Designing Great Beers," excited to really perfect a solid American Brown. Is there a methadone equivalent for home brewing?

Did you dry hop? Interesting. I've never had hop material float for me when using pellets. Assuming that's what it might be (from pellets) it should settle. Could be it has just been caught up in the active CO2 production causing it to rise to the surface. Once fermentation settles down a lot of the floaters will also sink again. As long as it tasted ok you're good.

Used an IPA kit from Better Brew. Had specialty grains and everything (spilled some Victory which made me a sad panda) After a few days of crazy fermenting, it subsided, took a gravity reading, and it tasted fantastic.
Anyhoo, quick question, some green schmutz (I've been in New York too long) was on the top, which I'm pretty sure is hop stuff. Do I filter it out when I bottle or do the yeasties send that jazz to the trub?

As usual, thanks a bunch! Started reading "Designing Great Beers," excited to really perfect a solid American Brown. Is there a methadone equivalent for home brewing?

i siphon without a filter....most of the stuff that floats will settle if it doesnt i pick it up when i siphon anyways after you bottle/keg and cool the beer that stuff really just seems to dissipate or settle out. if you are getting solids in the beer its because you picked up trub or still have some yeast activity going on most likely

Back