my second batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockbrew

Reaction score
Ok, this will be my second batch and i'm stepping up my game. My first batch was a kit of hefeweizen. This is what i want to attempt next http://***********/component/resource/article/1897-belgian-wit. they only having me boil a little over 2.5 gal so this is a concentrated boil right?. if i read this right it is similar to a partial mash with the extra quart of hot tap water being the sparge water? also i'm wandering what grains do i have to mill just the 3 malts right? thanks for your help.

ok i was wandering because it says steep the grains in the step by step but in the all-grain option it instructs to crush the grains for the mash.

I'm confused. Is this a Partial Mash or a Extract+Steeping? Recipe looks like a E+S, but what will happen to the malted wheat and pils malt if you just steep instead of mash?

BYO Source said:
Step by Step
Steep the crystal, wheat and pilsner malts, plus the oats and flaked wheat, in a grain bag in 2.5 gallons water at 150° F for 45 minutes. Remove the grains and rinse back into the brew kettle (through a colander) with an additional quart of hot tap water.

Add malt extract syrup and honey to kettle, bring to a boil. Add Brewer’s Gold hops, boil 30 minutes. Add Styrian Goldings hops, boil 15 minutes, remove from heat. Add coriander and orange peel, steep 30 minutes. Top up in fermenter to 5.25 gallons, cool to 68° F and pitch yeast. Ferment one week at 68° F, rack to secondary and condition two weeks at 55° F. Prime with DME, bottle and age three weeks at 50° F.

Yeah.... it's a partial mash. You'll have to mill the grains....all of them...can't hurt. Here is probably the best way to do a partial mash.....

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/

Great thread...and makes it a peice of cake....

What else do you have a question about?

P.S. I guess this is a partial mash because you are rinsing the grains after you steep them (ie the steep is actually a mash).

Back