My sanitation Question! whew-who! lol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic - In Remembrance 2023
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So i figure i got a milk can for a fermenter/HLT...

think i can forgo star-san, and just heat my sparge water to 185f, put in my now HLT, let it sit with the lid on for 20-30minutes while it cools to sparge temps, then presto, sanitized fermenter? it's what i've always done with my HDPE ones, but the yeast stuck to them something fierce, and i couldn't really ever get them clean to begin with, so it was just for convenience

(damn, now i want to get some silcone tube for my kegs...)

https://www.idfa.org/pasteurization

Before sanitation, what is your cleaning process?

well last time, i used a soapy rag and a rinse....let me take a snap shot, it looks flawless to me? that's really why i'm thinking about trying to figure out if i can actually do the cleaning and sanitizing now....never could really get my HDPE buckets clean, but all this SS takes is a wipe down and a rinse!

1637882259922.png

the scuffed part is where the krausen was, think it acted like an abrasive or something, but it's shiny clean as far as i can tell....the other stuff is just where my hard water dried out....

that's purdy.

i'd be going on and on over the forums about my SS milk can more then i am, but it's $150....which is out of charecter for me, (but i have two now! ;))

edit: i just double checked my other pail, it's got the brushed part to, and it remains unused....so it's just where they polished the top seam....

We've got one--who knows how old--and I imagine it's not too bad inside but I don't think we can pry the lid off to check. In any case, it's not needed and is a piece of kitchen furniture/decoration.

if it's for decoration, it would so much cooler then a lava lamp, it you put a light in the middle of of bubbler, one sticking out the top of it! could watch the light flutter as it ferments! better then a fire place, some soft jazz.....

i was thinking like a small led rope light...kinda be cheap, but 1liter soda bottle in side a 2litter....being trying to figure the hows to get the rope light in it. (this is something i think would actually be fun to do. not joking, but facetious.)

I got tired of having the boil stop when I put it in and then waiting while it came back up to a boil to finish.

So i figure i got a milk can for a fermenter/HLT...

think i can forgo star-san, and just heat my sparge water to 185f, put in my now HLT, let it sit with the lid on for 20-30minutes while it cools to sparge temps, then presto, sanitized fermenter? it's what i've always done with my HDPE ones, but the yeast stuck to them something fierce, and i couldn't really ever get them clean to begin with, so it was just for convenience

(damn, now i want to get some silcone tube for my kegs...)

https://www.idfa.org/pasteurization
I have brewed with used dairy vessels in the past. However, I did use pbw to do the initial cleaning and filled them with iodiphher and water to ensure they were clean and sanitary prior to their first use. But after that as long as you clean them good after each use I see no reason your method wouldn't be sufficient.

I have brewed with used dairy vessels in the past. However, I did use pbw to do the initial cleaning and filled them with iodiphher and water to ensure they were clean and sanitary prior to their first use. But after that as long as you clean them good after each use I see no reason your method wouldn't be sufficient.

these were brand new....got a batch of beer about ready to get kegged, looking forward to cleaning to see if it's still as easy!

looking forward to checking out the torpedo wide mouth kegs, if the rumors are correct!

Back