My "Run What Ya Brung" Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mykel Obvious

Reaction score
Ok, so I was lookin’ at the few things I have on hand and decided to do a “Run What Ya Brung” brew so I can use up some partial bits of stuff I have… I’m in an experimental phase right now, and this is what I came up with:

Mikey’s Run What Ya Brung Not Quite Belgian Pale Ale

Malt:
Munton’s Extra Light DME............. 6 lbs.
Candi Rock Sugar (amber) 75L....... 7 oz
Briess Caramel Munich 60L........... 5 oz
Briess Roast Barley...................... 1 oz (all I can add and stay in color guidelines)

Hops:
Hallertau 3.9% AAU --------------.3 oz at 60 min
Spaltz 3.5% AAU----------------- .3 oz at 60 min
WYE Target 11.8% AAU------ .25 oz at 60 min
EKG 5.5% AAU-------------------.25 oz at 2 minutes

This gives me the following according to ProMash:

Estimated OG: 1.060 (style max is 1.054 but I tend to come in under cause I’m steeping the grains… prolly about 1.054-1.058 in truth)
Estimated SRM 12.2 (style guide is 8-14)
Estimated IBUs 25.2 (style guide is 20-30)

I’m gonna use WLP011 European Ale, but run it at room temp (call it 75F air temp) and see what happens… This is not a “Must Hit Style Dead On” brew… just using what is on hand for an interesting experiment in a lower colored beer (I've been in a Brown phase lately... Last 3 beers were 2 Northern English Browns and 1 Flanders Oud Bruin) Anyway, that’s what I have on hand and it will use up some of the partial bags of hop pellets and a few other things I have laying around…

Whadda ya think?

mikey

Cloudy with a chance of beer?

It will be interesting to see what that roast b will add to it. That's a good grain. how dark are you shooting for?

I'm really just shooting for a copper color... I've used the roasted in 2 browns... about 4 oz in each... you can almost tell it's there, but not quite, not enough to throw it out of style, just a bit of nutty roasty coffeeish something or other in the background... I figure with this one, it will just be a tiny little something that mixes with the hops... it should only add about 1-2 SRM to the color... just enough to be seen

This is really just a closet cleaner batch
;)

Not sure how the yeast will react at higher temps... but I've been reading Wild Brews, Farmhouse Ales, Radical Brewing and Brew Like A Monk, so I'm game for anything at this point LMAO...

Also wondering how the German and English hops will mix... but in Farmhouse Ales one Saison recipe mentions using Saaz, Styrian Goldings and East Kent Goldings in a blend... so I figure, why not...

mikey

Back