My ridiculously stupid IPA. Thoughts/jokes/insults/etc. welcome

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyleWolf

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

So, everyone loves to build that ridiculous IPA that you almost don't even want to brew because it is such a flamboyant almost waste of hops...but we also don't seem to really care lol. After having the newest batch of Maharaja from Avery (which was beautiful fyi...the hops were so fresh *looks longingly in direction of bar*)...anyways...I was determined to make design a beer very, very, hop forward. So, I did. albeit a bit drunk but I stand by my creation/mutation/abomination.

So here you go. Notice that almost all of the IBUs are coming from the last 15min of the boil.

Hop Oil IIPA/Tongue Rasp IIPA

Estimated OG- 1.089
Estimated FG- 1.012
SRM- 13.7SRM
IBU- 106.7

14.75lb 2row
00.75lb Aromatic Malt
00.75lb Caramel 120L

0.25oz Columbus (15.4%) 60min boil 9.8 IBU
0.25oz Columbus (15.4%) 20min boil 5.9 IBU
0.50oz Chinook (13%) 15min boil 8.4 IBU
1.00oz Centennial (10%) 15min boil 13.0 IBU
1.50oz Simcoe (13%) 10min boil 18.5 IBU
2.00oz Cascade (5.5%) 10min boil 10.4 IBU
2.00oz Centennial (10%) 10min boil 19.0 IBU
0.50oz Citra (14.8%) 5min boil 3.9 IBU
2.00oz Simcoe (13%) 5min boil 13.6 IBU
1.50oz Cascade (5.5%) 5min boil 4.3 IBU
1.50oz Simcoe (13%) 0min boil
1.50oz Cascade (5.5%) 0min boil

0.75oz Columbus Dry Hop
0.75oz Chinook Dry Hop
2.50oz Simcoe Dry Hop

Mash in at 152
Ferment at 68 with WLP001.

Feel free to tell me I am an idiot for wasting as much hop I would/will on this recipe, but these hops are a bit old so I should use them anyways :p

I don't think it is going to be very bitter. I don't think you'll get anywhere near 100 ibus with .25 oz of bittering hops but I have been wrong before. Yeah, if IBUs are what you are going for, you're wasting hops trying to extract them from massive amounts of late additions imo.

Now THAT's my kind of hop schedule.. heavy on the shorties.... not bitter. Maybe not even in category for an IPA, actually. I agree there is no way you're getting to 100 IBUs.. and there is no way I am going to add all those additions into beersmith to find out.

That said, how are you going to get a 1.089 down to 1.012 using WLP001? Planning on pitching 2L or more?

The inclusion of an estimated IBU # after each of those additions would lead me to believe that the recipe has already come from a program like BeerSmith, etc. If so, why would it be wrong? Sure, the IBUs contributed by each of those later additions is small - but there are also a ****-load of additions there. I don't see why it "wouldn't get to 100 IBUs".

If I just wanted late addition IBUs, I know bittering is of course the way to go.

I don't think I explained myself well. the reason I want to do this beer isnt for the IBUs. It is to get as much hope flavor and aroma as I possible can lol.

The reason I mentioned the IBUs before was to draw attention to all of the flavor and aroma additions. Sorry if that was confusing.

Feel free to tell me I am an idiot for wasting as much hop I would/will on this recipe, but these hops are a bit old so I should use them anyways :p

You are an idiot for using 6 different hops in one recipe.
And that's the most idiotic hop schedule i've ever seen.(seriously)

Happy?

_

That said, how are you going to get a 1.089 down to 1.012 using WLP001? Planning on pitching 2L or more?

Even using just a 1.5-2L starter will normally do that for me with 001, but most likely I will make a pale ale of something beforehand and pitch onto the cake.

You are an idiot for using 6 different hops in one recipe.
And that's the most idiotic hop schedule i've ever seen.(seriously)

Happy?

_

hahahaha. Wow, it never really dawned on me and I racked up that many different hops...Thanks for the insult lol

I'd say go for it. Mosher recommended n Radical brewing to use more lower AA% hops than a little bit of higher AA% hops.

Plus your method of adding the hops isn't that crazy, its just the same idea as continual hopping that DFH does for their IPAs.

As long as the IBUs end up as calculated, I think you'll end up with a really hop flavored beer.

As long as the IBUs end up as calculated, I think you'll end up with a really hop flavored beer.

That's the problem. I doubt they will. Too many factors that the SW does not know and exasperated at later additions and vast quantities.

That being said, will be interested in hearing how it comes out. Looks like a sweet flower to me. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

The inclusion of an estimated IBU # after each of those additions would lead me to believe that the recipe has already come from a program like BeerSmith, etc. If so, why would it be wrong? Sure, the IBUs contributed by each of those later additions is small - but there are also a ****-load of additions there. I don't see why it "wouldn't get to 100 IBUs".

Because the software is using a formula that does not necessarily match reality when you deal with large numbers of hops added for short boils, or tiny amounts of hops added at any point.

for example, I really doubt that adding a pound of 5% alpha hops at 5 min boil is going to add IBUs much at all.

It is like knowing the formula for how long it takes to dig a hole.... and then estimating how long it would take to pick up the shovel based on that.

I think that the hop schedule is fine for the most part. Maybe put a little more on the bittering end to balance out all of those late additions. IMO a lot of late additions add a perceived sweetness and dont necessarily give you a nice bitter backbone for an IPA... Late addition sweetness on top of an already very big beer would lead me to suggest that you need to dry that mother down or its going to be a sweet mess and might not be what you're looking for. I'd Sub 1lb of sugar for some base malt and add it to the fermenter when things slow down to dry it out and (hopefully) kick start the yeast to fermenting a little further than they would if you added it to the boil. Also... mash long and low! 148ish... If you can get that thing down to a reasonable FG I think it will be good.

Another thought. IPA's that are really heavy on the late hops are not in their prime for very long. Hopefully you are force carbing / kegging so that you dont have to wait for it to naturally carb up. Thats a pretty big beer, and it could take awhile to carb. While you're waiting you might miss the "peak" of such a beer. IMO some late hopped IPA's really go south after a few months and tend to get a strange-ish taste after 6mo or so...

I would bump up the 60 minute addition to at least 3/4 oz.

This will turn out absolutely terrible, you are better off sending it all to me to be disposed of.

Another thought. IPA's that are really heavy on the late hops are not in their prime for very long. Hopefully you are force carbing / kegging so that you dont have to wait for it to naturally carb up. Thats a pretty big beer, and it could take awhile to carb. While you're waiting you might miss the "peak" of such a beer. IMO some late hopped IPA's really go south after a few months and tend to get a strange-ish taste after 6mo or so...

Oh, it would be forced carbed and kegged. I would start drinkin this 21-22 days after brew day (2wks primary, 1 wk secondary, especially if I pitch on a cake).

This will turn out absolutely terrible, you are better off sending it all to me to be disposed of.

beeber, if it turns out as horrible as you think, I would hate to burden you with disposing of such garbage ;)

I would do more 60min additions. For a IIPA, i'm thinking 100 theoretical IBUs should be the starting point, so I would shoot higher for actual IBUs.

And too much hop variety IMO...0.5 oz of Chinook and 0.5 oz of Citra in a hop schedule that's over a pound? I would eliminate them...I doubt anyone will pick up Citra and Chinook when they are being hit with 3oz of Centennial, 5oz of Simcoe, and 5oz of Cascade.

However, if you want to hopburst and keep the 60min additions as is, I would still eliminate Chinook and Citra. If it were me, I would be inclined to replace the Cascade with some Centennial...it's really Super-Cascade and you'd be using half the weight for the same AA. Maybe save the Cascade for a pale ale or something.

I would do more 60min additions. For a IIPA, i'm thinking 100 theoretical IBUs should be the starting point, so I would shoot higher for actual IBUs.

And too much hop variety IMO...0.5 oz of Chinook and 0.5 oz of Citra in a hop schedule that's over a pound? I would eliminate them...I doubt anyone will pick up Citra and Chinook when they are being hit with 3oz of Centennial, 5oz of Simcoe, and 5oz of Cascade.

However, if you want to hopburst and keep the 60min additions as is, I would still eliminate Chinook and Citra. If it were me, I would be inclined to replace the Cascade with some Centennial...it's really Super-Cascade and you'd be using half the weight for the same AA. Maybe save the Cascade for a pale ale or something.

Yeah, looking at the recipe now, you're absolutely right. They probably won't play any kind of significant role. The reason I had so much cascade is because I know it can easily be over powered by other hops. But I will look at the balance. Thanks!

I like it! I would also recommend moving a few more to 60min. I would also recommend ditching the chinook, you won't notice it and its not a flavor I would want in this recipe anyways. As for the citra loose it or up it. It could be a nice addition to the grape fruit and apricot tones of the cascade and simco

I'd leave the Citra in, perhaps replacing the cascades with centennial as suggested, and eliminating the Chinook. Maybe even up the Citra a bit.

Latest posts

Back