My Pyment Tastes Slightly Too Acidic/Tart

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr_Floyd

Reaction score
I'm new to Pyments, to me it tastes a little too acidic/tart. What can I do to change that? Will it age out at all? Will the oak I plan to add have any effect on it? I know there's a slight chance this should really be in the wine forum but it is mostly a Mead at heart. Thanks!

I just did my first rack on my first pyment and noticed the same thing. Eager to see the response.

When yeast metabolize sugar, it creates some amount of acid as a byproduct. After the fermentation slows down, the yeast still uses a bit of time to process/"clean up" the remaining acid. After a few months most of it should go away.

If using table grapes then the tartness is a common side effect. I agree a little oak and age helps with this. Also stabilizing and back sweetening with a little honey or even welches frozen concentrate has helped me in the past hit the flavor profile I want. I have started using Lalvin 71b-1112 on payments because it does a better job at metabolizing malic acid reducing the age time.

I have started using Lalvin 71b-1112 on payments because it does a better job at metabolizing malic acid.

Yep, pretty much this. A lot of wines (particularly reds and chardonnay) also undergo malolactic fermentation, which converts the sharper, tarter malic acid to the softer-, rounder-tasting lactic acid

Thanks everyone for the advice. I also plan on aging it with some Wild Cherry Bark that I'm hoping will help mask the tartness.

Back