My persistant Infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mugsfull

Reaction score
After 2 years and 34 great 5 gallon batches, I've fallen in a rut. I've had 4 beers with this same infection.

I've always used star san and been very careful to soak and sanitize equip and surfaces.

My process has always been the same: Boil and primary in bucket for 2 weeks, then transfer to a glass carboy secondary for whatever period.

The infection always appears 4-5 days after transfer to secondary. A small foam ring forms, then a spiderweb and bubbles form.

As I write this I'm soaking all my equip in a bleach solution of 2 Tblsp per gallon. I've disassembled bottleing wand, auto siphon and hoses.

I'm hoping this kicks it. Any comments are appreciated.

BTW, I did bottle my last batch like this and I'm drinking it with no ill-effect(I think).

DSCN0777.jpg

DSCN0778.jpg

I would replace all your autosiphons and other plastic stuff that you are soaking right now, and also opt for a long primary as opposed to racking to secondary and see what happens. One of the recommendations of long primarying is that it cuts down on the risk of oxydation and infection, because you are pretty much leaving it alone.

But the other issue I see is that is a hellova lot of headspace in your carboy? Is that your secondary? You rally want to use a smaller vessel, like a 5 gallon carboy for a secondary and have the beer nearly up into the neck of the vessel. You don't want that much headspace and surface area since there is lees co2 to cushion the beer from infection. It's doubtful that there's enough co2, and that means there's a lot of surface to come into contact with whatever growing.

Yeah it really sounds like its coming from your racking equipment, since thats when it appears.

I bought some new bottling equipment recently because I kept getting tainted batches everytime I bottled. Kegs would come out fine, but bottles would be horrible. I believe it was the actual spigot on that bucket, but I replaced the tubing and wand also, just to be safe.

You don't taste any off-flavors in your recent batch, though? That's a good thing!

I actually have 2 - 5 gallon secondary's that are full and fine. As you say, they are up to the neck with little headspace.
Pictured is the 6.5 which I sometimes use for primary, but since it was empty, I used it for secondary - and come to think of it. It was the same one that had it last time. Only there was a batch in between that was fine.

Excellent example of why secondarying is a unneeded risk. Not worth the chance of infection.

When you measure the SG after your secondary...does it change much or at all from the SG when you transferred from your primary?

If the beer you are drinking is still good despite having had the same problem as this current batch - then bottle it!

i'll be the one to say it:

why are you racking to secondary? there's no real need for one. When i'm feeling iffy about my primary (bucket), i just do a no chill. I feel pretty confidant that 212F wort will kill anything left in the bucket.

I believe that a bleach bomb should take care of the problem with the contaminated secondary, but it's not worth the risk on the tubing. It's cheap, just replace all of that stuff.

Instead of bleach, try hydrogen peroxide - it's a better fungistat and leaves no bleach aftertaste.

I did the 'bleach bomb'. 1 tsp per gal of water. I soaked everything for a few hours. I then sanitized with one step.

10 batches later, I haven't had an issue. Thanks for the help!

I did the 'bleach bomb'. 1 tsp per gal of water. I soaked everything for a few hours. I then sanitized with one step.

10 batches later, I haven't had an issue. Thanks for the help!

That's great to hear! I had a lacto infection a while back, and I did the same thing- bleach bombed all permanent equipment and threw away all plastic and replaced. Sometimes those infections can be a bugger (get it, bug? never mind) to get rid of, so I'm glad it worked out for you!

Latest posts

Back