My next batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGB

Reaction score
I'm thinking of an Oatmeal Stout or an IPA for my next batch. Does anyone have a recipe or kit they recommend for this?

I just Bottled by Cooper's Stout after 1 week in Primary and 1 week in secondary with no G change. The FG was 1.016 and the OG was 1.045 so I'm looking at a 4% AVB batch... weaker than I wanted. It actually tasted pretty good during all of my G readings. It had a nice toasty toffee after taste to it... much more finish than you get with Guinness.

With a FG of 1.016 did I bottle too early?

Thanks all

Make one of each. Make the IPA first, hops are much easier on n00bs than oatmeal. Make the oat stout third, they aren't that bad.

1.016 is probably fine.

I did a Coopers stout, but I used 3 lbs of light DME instead of the stuff they sell in their kits, and it was awesome.

I also did a Coopers IPA kit, and while it was good beer, it was nowheres near hoppy enough for an IPA. If I were you, I'd switch to NB/Midwest/AHS kits (to name a few) and try for the IPA. I'm about to keg my NB Extra IPA kit and it smells incredible.

Back