My newb reflections

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gurrback

Reaction score
Having completed only three brew sessions, I would like to share a few observations with my fellow newb-brewers. These anecdotes are not meant to expertly instruct, but rather inform or warn rookie brewers like myself of some of the problems I have run in to thus far.

Most of my observations are based on a desire to make the process simpler/easier/more efficient/more sanitary, etc. These may not be the right methods, but they have so far helped ME in a few situations. I welcome discussion/corrections/tips from more experienced brewers!

1. Hop bags: I've brewed and dry hopped without bags, and as a rookie I have found it challenging to efficiently, and in a sanitary manner, rack and bottle beer with hop gunk floating around.

2. Yeast starters: they are not that hard to make (instructions readily available on youtube, on these forums, etc) and greatly increase the likelihood of a strong, full fermentation. I have been under pitching and, with one beer in particular, paid the price. Eliminate this from your list of potential slip ups!

3. No rinse sanitizer. In certain situations, it's incredibly difficult for an inexperienced brewer such as myself to maintain sanitization with tools, carboys, etc., if you are forced to sanitize, rinse, and dry. With a no-rinse option you can cut a few of those steps out (not to mention a spray bottle is just faster and easier), decreasing the likelihood of infection.

4. Blow off tubes. They are SO easy to make and such a no-brainer. It won't make your brew session any more complicated but it WILL save your beer in the event of an aggressive fermentation.

5. Auto-siphon. I know there is a lot of debate about this, but I have found that it's tricky to operate a traditional siphon in a sanitary manner. Maybe it's just me, but I'm willing to bet there are a few people out there who are still sucking on the end of the tube or dripping beer everywhere. Go ahead and give an auto-siphon a try.

6. Have a plan, lay your ingredients out in order, and don't get drunk! Pretty self explanatory.

7. Take it slow. Dream of one day owning a brewery, but for the time being focus on a few simple recipes you can repeat. Furthermore, focus on the process. Practice timing and sanitation. Don't get too ambitious too quickly with wacky recipes. I find that every time I start to dream just a bit too large I start to make more mistakes! We're rookies, after all.

8. Have fun! :mug:

Thanks for posting your tips. I'm very new too. Yesterday was my second brew day (Nut Brown Ale).

I especially agree with the no-rinse sanitizer. It made brew day 100 times easier and less stressful.

I also prefer using muslin bags for hops and specialty grains. Some stuff gets through anyway, but it's much less.

Luckily, our kit came with the auto siphon. It works great.

I don't have much to add to your tips. I guess I'd say not to worry about every little thing. It all seems to work out in the end. Don't be afraid of doing "Extract Kits" with the hops and specialty grains rather than the "can kit." It's not much harder and I'm sure is a better outcome.

And yes, I second "have a plan" and "have fun!" :mug:

Back