Complete Newb to Homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 337266

Reaction score
I am completely new to home brew other than helping my dad put caps on bottles when I was a kid. I have been watching a ton of youtube videos. I bought a used Northern Brewer Deluxe kit that included a Catalyst fermentation system. Im kind of overwhelmed thinking I need more equipment to make it way easier such as corny kegs and a immersion chiller. Would you recommend getting these items first or just go for it?

Assuming you got everything which originally came with that starter kit about the only thing that would be nice to have at this point would be a wort chiller. Also a hydrometer and/or a refractometer if you don’t have anything to measure specific gravity.

Almost everyone starts out bottling. And almost everyone, who continues brewing on a regular basis, decides that bottling is a PITA and starts kegging. But that’s an entirely different rabbit hole. :cool:

Welcome to the hobby, welcome to HBT, and good luck! Ask a lot of questions here, there’s about a thousand years of collective brewing experience to tap into.

+1. Home brewing can be very simple or rocket science complex, so it's OK to start with the basics and to use kits to become familiar with the process. Over time you can address different aspects of brewing to become more precise as you start to dial in specific characteristics.

I made a post the other day about Northern Brewer and their how to videos as an effective starting place.

I would agree that a wort chiller is a huge plus since it cuts down a lot of brew day time. If you want to save money, check out the DIY videos using copper refrigerator line, some hoses and coupling all available on the shelves of the big home and garden stores.

Kegging - we talk about cutting down brew day, but we keggers have learned to block out any memories of bottling day :). Anyway, that does require more capital, space and planning, hang in there with the bottles. You'll need them to share with your friends to show off your newly acquired skill, or unload a mediocre batch to make room for a new one.

Welcome to the gang and welcome to the world of Brewing!

Since this is new to you, as other have suggested, start out small then work your way up to tons of equipment. You could start using 22 ounce bottles to lessen the fun task of bottling. Swing tops are available for the larger size bottles too.

Kegging is much easier but there's a large out lay of cash to get going plus kegs need more area to be stored and cooled. I'd work on getting your brewing practices down first. There's a lot to learn just about the brewing.

I started out brewing in buckets and bottling the beer, doing that for many years before moving on to making tasks easier. Every step along the way I thought about what it would take to make it easier and not spend a fortune. Even after many decades of brewing I'm still learning.

Good luck and Keep Reading!

Welcome!

I kegged in a previous brew life...I started bottling simply because now I don't have the space for kegging.
My suggestion re equipment....make a beer or two with what you have.
Get some successes and a few mistakes under your belt.
Then explore the various equipment configurations available to make good beer and see what makes sense for your space.

Most of all have fun!

Welcome!

I kegged in a previous brew life...I started bottling simply because now I don't have the space for kegging.
My suggestion re equipment....make a beer or two with what you have.
Get some successes and a few mistakes under your belt.
Then explore the various equipment configurations available to make good beer and see what makes sense for your space.

Most of all have fun!

I have to ask, and this might be helpful to the OP down the road. I am an apartment brewer and space is a huge issue for me. When I started and bottled I have lots of shelf room and an extra fridge in my three car garage. I know what space I needed to store empty bottles, full bottles and cold beer. My DIY kegerator that holds one keg and my two other kegs (either empty or conditioning on deck) take up less room than when I bottled.

So my experience and your experience seems to be opposite. This has me curious as to why your kegging experience v bottling is opposite to mine. Can you shed some light on where bottling is saving you space? BTW, It could very well be that we might store more beer when we can keg - adding kegs to the supply room is the easy part.

I have to ask, and this might be helpful to the OP down the road. I am an apartment brewer and space is a huge issue for me. When I started and bottled I have lots of shelf room and an extra fridge in my three car garage. I know what space I needed to store empty bottles, full bottles and cold beer. My DIY kegerator that holds one keg and my two other kegs (either empty or conditioning on deck) take up less room than when I bottled.

So my experience and your experience seems to be opposite. This has me curious as to why your kegging experience v bottling is opposite to mine. Can you shed some light on where bottling is saving you space? BTW, It could very well be that we might store more beer when we can keg - adding kegs to the supply room is the easy part.
No worries......
My detached garage (never seen a car in it) is my brew space, pool table room, drinking hall, silversmithing studio, shelving for supplies and tools and workshop. It also houses our meat freezer and second refrigerator (beer bottles and food storage) along with a mini fridge dedicated to beer on top of a tool unit. There is no available space around the perimeter that is not utilized.
When I say utilized, I mean this space has been organized, downsized, and re-organized again. :)

I have a lean-to room that is semi-conditioned I built off the side of the garage that is my bottle storage space. That area could potentially house a kegerator but would be dang inconvenient.
So my situation is a little different than yours, but still it doesn't make kegs an automatic solution for me.
***** I guess I should say SPACE is not my issue.... space in the location where I would like to serve beer is my issue :)
1677253149920.png

Last edited:
To the OP / Steve: the Homebrewers of Peoria (IL) meet monthly at W.E. Sullivan’s (Peoria Heights) the 2nd Wednesday of the month at 6:30pm.
Food & craft beer (on tap) both good. You are welcome to join in - there is an abundance of brewing knowledge available.

I am an apartment brewer and space is a huge issue for me. When I started and bottled I have lots of shelf room and an extra fridge in my three car garage. I know what space I needed to store empty bottles, full bottles and cold beer. My DIY kegerator that holds one keg and my two other kegs (either empty or conditioning on deck) take up less room than when I bottled.
I don't have any place to put a kegerator (and I like to have more than one homebrew ready to serve at any given time, which seems to rule out your solution). So for me, that settles the question. Unless I decide to give up my other hobbies to make space available. But I enjoy those hobbies too.

I've been considering Oxebar PET kegs. Probably would have already pulled the trigger if the 4L ones were available in the US.

Don't go throwing a ton of money into the hobby. If you stick with it you will spend plenty over time. I would add a few things to compliment that kit however. One is an accurate thermometer. Thermapen looks costly compared to similar options but one word of advise to go with my first suggestion is that when you do spend money don't be afraid to buy the best quality you can possibly afford. An $80 Thermapen will last you for many years. The second thing you need to invest in is a good hydrometer. I suggest the one from Brewing America. A chiller is absolutely at the top of the list but there are inexpensive methods of chilling available like a swamp cooler. The thermometer and hydrometer are absolute indispensable items every homebrewer must have. If you can get all three right away that's great. If not start with the first two and find an alternate way of chilling.

https://www.thermoworks.com/classic-thermapen/https://brewingamerica.com/collections/triple-scale-hydrometer

Get important things first, so you can start brewing. Do a few extract brews to get the basic processes down, before investing larger amounts.

Did you get a kettle with the kit you bought? If so, how big a volume?

When extract brewing you only need to boil about half the volume of the total batch size. The rest is cold top up water, added later:
  1. After the boil is completed, first chill that kettle in your kitchen sink or a large tub with cold water, to bring it down to 140-160F or so. That should chill down rather quickly, with a little stirring, and perhaps a change of cold water.
  2. Then add ice cold water to the (still quite hot) wort in your kettle, to bring it down to 80-100F.
  3. Or, if your kettle is smaller, put a gallon or 2 of ice cold water into your fermenter (the Catalyst), and slowly add your (still quite hot) wort from the kettle to that.
  4. Note: Do not pour hot wort (higher than 100F) directly into your plastic fermenter, it will deform or even collapse.
  5. Then top up to your batch size with more ice cold water up to your batch's volume.
You do not even need a hydrometer at this point, although it's handy to have one. A $10-12 one should do it. They're very fragile, being made from very thin glass with a heavy weight in the bottom.

Any thermometer you may already have on hand should work fine for your first few brews.
You can get one for $10. Or a better, digital one for $20, CDN DTQ450X, on Amazon.

I don't have any place to put a kegerator (and I like to have more than one homebrew ready to serve at any given time, which seems to rule out your solution).
Most kegerators will hold more than one keg; the Komos I recently bought holds four, so it can have four different beers ready to serve at any given time, and it takes about the same amount of floor space as a mini-fridge. You do still need a place to put it, of course, and that place needs to have power available, but the amount of space required isn't very much. Not something I'd really recommend when you're just starting out (it's a bit of an expense), but wanting the record to be clear. Though kegging is far more convenient than bottling.

Welcome!

What I would suggest, as a few others have done above, is start with the basics and work up from there. It's very easy to dive down the multiple rabbit holes of kegging, pressure fermenting, fancy recipes; to the point that you lose sight of the actual rabbit: your own home-brewed beer. There are folks on this forum who have never brewed all-grain, extract all the way, and make award-winning beers. Find a local homebrew supply shop (you will see this abbreviated as LHBS in many threads on this forum) and ask questions. If they don't give you the right answers but try to steer you to buying stuff you don't need, find another one. Google homebrew clubs in your area, and see if you can sit in on a meeting. Visit local craft breweries, and see if you can have a chat with their head brewer; most of them started out as homebrewers themselves, and will have great advice (and maybe some old homebrew equipment sitting around they will let go for cheap). Be humble, admit you are just starting out, and most of the folks I mentioned above will be beyond helpful.

Another thing I would note; there are NO stupid questions on HBT. We may poke some fun, but if you have a question, ASK IT. It's much better to ask a question such as 'what are these weird things on the surface of my beer' and find out they are harmless yeast rafts, than to assume your beer is infected and dump a lot of $$ down the toilet.

Most kegerators will hold more than one keg; the Komos I recently bought holds four, so it can have four different beers ready to serve at any given time, and it takes about the same amount of floor space as a mini-fridge.
Yeah, I know all that. I was responding only to what I specifically quoted - one keg on tap and two in line. I just so happens that I was in my local big box home improvement store this afternoon and they have a one tap kegerator on sale for $500 (CO2 tank, regulator and lines included). So find some used kegs and go for it right? But I still don't have a place for it, and even if I did I'm probably going to want to replace the tower with a two or three tap one almost immediately. So I think that if I do start kegging I'm much more likely to go with something that will fit into a fridge I already have and just stick picnic taps on them.

+1. Home brewing can be very simple or rocket science complex, so it's OK to start with the basics and to use kits to become familiar with the process. Over time you can address different aspects of brewing to become more precise as you start to dial in specific characteristics.

I made a post the other day about Northern Brewer and their how to videos as an effective starting place.

I would agree that a wort chiller is a huge plus since it cuts down a lot of brew day time. If you want to save money, check out the DIY videos using copper refrigerator line, some hoses and coupling all available on the shelves of the big home and garden stores.

Kegging - we talk about cutting down brew day, but we keggers have learned to block out any memories of bottling day :). Anyway, that does require more capital, space and planning, hang in there with the bottles. You'll need them to share with your friends to show off your newly acquired skill, or unload a mediocre batch to make room for a new one.
I'd actually argue against the wort chiller.

I've been doing a poor man's "no-chill" where I just leave my stockpot covered outside overnight to naturally cool to pitching temps. I pour into a bucket, add yeast and stick it in my fermentation chamber, which was a much needed upgrade to a swamp cooler and ice solution for maintaining temperatures.

Although, if we still had the pool I used to cool my wort, since I wasted no water and heated my pool, I'd be chilling that way.

Get important things first, so you can start brewing. Do a few extract brews to get the basic processes down, before investing larger amounts.

Did you get a kettle with the kit you bought? If so, how big a volume?

When extract brewing you only need to boil about half the volume of the total batch size. The rest is cold top up water, added later:
  1. After the boil is completed, first chill that kettle in your kitchen sink or a large tub with cold water, to bring it down to 140-160F or so. That should chill down rather quickly, with a little stirring, and perhaps a change of cold water.
  2. Then add ice cold water to the (still quite hot) wort in your kettle, to bring it down to 80-100F.
  3. Or, if your kettle is smaller, put a gallon or 2 of ice cold water into your fermenter (the Catalyst), and slowly add your (still quite hot) wort from the kettle to that.
  4. Note: Do not pour hot wort (higher than 100F) directly into your plastic fermenter, it will deform or even collapse.
  5. Then top up to your batch size with more ice cold water up to your batch's volume.
You do not even need a hydrometer at this point, although it's handy to have one. A $10-12 one should do it. They're very fragile, being made from very thin glass with a heavy weight in the bottom.

Any thermometer you may already have on hand should work fine for your first few brews.
You can get one for $10. Or a better, digital one for $20, CDN DTQ450X, on Amazon.
I have a turkey fryer I was going to use for the boiling. Im assuming it is large enough for for 2-3 gallons on a 5 gallon batch. My wife also has the thermapen for temps I can use.

I have a turkey fryer I was going to use for the boiling. Im assuming it is large enough for for 2-3 gallons on a 5 gallon batch. My wife also has the thermapen for temps I can use.
Sounds good. How many gallons does your kettle hold? Keep in mind here that you will need a kettle with a volume large enough for the initial volume of your wort; for example, for 3 gallons going into the fermenter you will want at least a 5g kettle, 7-8g is optimal. Sugar water (which is essentially what wort is) likes to boil over, and will make a mess that is very difficult to clean up. Watch it like a hawk; many people here will tell you that they turned away from the kettle for just a few seconds to grab something, and by the time they turned back the kettle had turned into Mt Vesuvius. A spray bottle with plain water is your friend here; once boil starts, spray it like it owes you money, until the foamy stuff settles down. This is the proteins settling into the boiling wort. Don't think you have to boil at the highest temperature your turkey fryer will go, either; a nice rolling boil is all you need.

Sounds good. How many gallons does your kettle hold? Keep in mind here that you will need a kettle with a volume large enough for the initial volume of your wort; for example, for 3 gallons going into the fermenter you will want at least a 5g kettle, 7-8g is optimal. Sugar water (which is essentially what wort is) likes to boil over, and will make a mess that is very difficult to clean up. Watch it like a hawk; many people here will tell you that they turned away from the kettle for just a few seconds to grab something, and by the time they turned back the kettle had turned into Mt Vesuvius. A spray bottle with plain water is your friend here; once boil starts, spray it like it owes you money, until the foamy stuff settles down. This is the proteins settling into the boiling wort. Don't think you have to boil at the highest temperature your turkey fryer will go, either; a nice rolling boil is all you need.
I’m pretty sure it’s a 30 quart kettle which comes out to 7.5 gallons. I’ve seen the spray bottle in videos but didn’t know what it was. Good to know just water.

To the OP / Steve: the Homebrewers of Peoria (IL) meet monthly at W.E. Sullivan’s (Peoria Heights) the 2nd Wednesday of the month at 6:30pm.
Food & craft beer (on tap) both good. You are welcome to join in - there is an abundance of brewing knowledge available.
I’m in Springfield but I’ll keep that in mind if I’m up that way on a Wednesday. I travel all over for work so may be in the area on those dates

Back