My New Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACarver

Reaction score
Just started my latest (3rd) batch of apple cider. First one turned out ok, but rather dry. Second one was terrible after backsweetening it with splenda, and ended up dumping the entire batch.

This batch I have pretty high hopes for.

2 gallons Motts Apple Juice
1 compacted cup of brown sugar
1 stick cinnamon
1/2 pack Coopers Ale Yeast

Original Gravity - 1.057

Boiled brown sugar and cinnamon in about 2 cups apple juice, then added it to remaining apple juice in container. Pitched hydrated yeast about 10 hrs ago. Pretty solid fermentation so far.

My plan in to backsweeten this time by racking 2 cans frozen apple juice concentrate (should that be enough for a 2 gallon batch if I like it about the sweetness of Woodchuck Amber?) and around 1/2 cup brown sugar. I will then bottle and pasteurize after watching it very closely (I'll admit I'm a little paranoid about pasteurization).

Love my small batch (2 1/2 gal max) fermentation container. Picked it up at Walmart for around $6. Only had to drill a 1" hole in the top with a spade bit!

Let me know what you think or any suggestions. Really need to impress the little lady with this batch so the whole brewing hobby is in pretty good standing. :mug:

DSCF0902.jpg

I actually have 2 of those containers. Look like I will be trying a lot of different kinds of cider really soon! Looks good!

Try to keep your fermentation temperature in the mid to upper 60's to make sure that your ale yeast aren't eating through all of your aromatics.

My plan in to backsweeten this time by racking 2 cans frozen apple juice concentrate (should that be enough for a 2 gallon batch if I like it about the sweetness of Woodchuck Amber?) and around 1/2 cup brown sugar. I will then bottle and pasteurize after watching it very closely (I'll admit I'm a little paranoid about pasteurization).

I believe that the ratio of the concentrate is 1 can per 2.5 gallons of cider.

Back