My new burner stand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeyChopps

Reaction score
I am not quite ready for a brew stand yet but hate my turkey fryer cuz of how low it is so I used some old bed frame angle to make this

ForumRunner_20120211_201511.jpg

Now that I got that done I got the burner and made a heat shield with some sheet metal laying around

ForumRunner_20120211_201614.jpg

Then put it all together

ForumRunner_20120211_201656.jpg

So tomorrow is the big day to try it out doing a esb. Cheers Chopps

Looks great. Just remember that bed frame angle iron is notorious for being difficult to get a good quality weld on. Seems they are ungraded metal and have hard and soft spots throughout them. Makes it a PITA to cut and weld if your not familiar with the material. It can be done, dont let me discourage anyone, but it is a little harder than your basic mig away kind of welds. Have fun and please be safe when building something like this. 180 degree water will hurt you bad if it spills on you. Dont ask me just exactly how I know.
Bob

I would agree with it being a pita to cut but I thought it was pretty simple to weld must of got lucky

day_trippr said:
Looks like a BG-14 from here...

Cheers!

Right u are. I read somewhere that they are over kill for 5 gal batches. Which they are but who gives a **** cuz its awesome

Right u are. I read somewhere that they are over kill for 5 gal batches. Which they are but who gives a **** cuz its awesome

Well, I disagree about "overkill" for smaller batches. Many other burners when throttled down leave just a concentrated flame right in the middle of a pot. A neat thing about the BG-14 burner is you can run it low and still get a beautifully broad, clean, uniform and efficient flame that won't scorch the middle of a smaller pot.

Enjoy it!

Cheers!

Today was my first run and I saw some burnt sugar on the bottom of the pot that concerned me a bit but next weekends may be different. I meant overkill because I only had my regulatory open 1/3 of a turn and maintained an awesome boil which blew my mind

Bed frame is hardened (or at least case hardened) steel. Which is why it was hard to cut. You'll burn up some drill bits trying to poke holes in it, too.

how close `is your burner? you might think about lowering it a bit if you are getting scorched wort at such low a setting. Pretty cool though. :)

I'm at 3 inches when I brewed Sunday the wind was blowing on the only cut out of my shield I'm going to try turning the brew stand away from the wind before I lower the burner

Back