My new basement setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pennachi

Reaction score
Just recently moved from a corner in the basement to taking over the whole thing. Installed a utility sink with hot and cold water and speakers. I guess it is kind of a tasting room too.

http://imgur.com/xvoD39j

Usually do wine and meads but I started my first beer a couple of weeks ago and it's almost ready to bottle and carb (I don't drink beer but my wife and friends do).

Very cool! I am jealous of that set up! I currently have a corner of the basement like you did, maybe one day I will have the entire thing!

God, I can't wait to move. I'm trying to sell my small three bedroom and upsize. My brew space is currently a "little" cramped. I'm totally taking over the basement in a new house.

The lights are off 99% of the time and the windows are blocked off now.

Thats way cool !, and I thought I had it made with my little brew room :drunk:

Here is a pic of my little room.

Cheers :mug:

IMG_2044.jpg

I c what 50 gallons fermenting? What do I guys do with it all? I fill both kegs and tons of bottles but can't brew maybe once a month I have so much

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Just decided to bump up the stores cause I'm always running out and nothing gets to age more than a couple of years.

Very, very nice. Having some dedicated space indoors is great. One of the best investments I made when we built a new house was an indoor brewroom.

I c what 50 gallons fermenting? What do I guys do with it all? I fill both kegs and tons of bottles but can't brew maybe once a month I have so much

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yep 50 gallons in my brew room age/conditioning :ban:, we also have 10 kegs that most are full, my wife and I each have 2 to 3 beers a night, 1 when we get home, 1 at dinner, and 1 after dinner, that adds up quick.

Add a few extra on friday and saturday night and that is a 5 gallon keg a week, 4 kegs a month, now add sharing with a few friends and it really starts to add up, we age/condition most of our beers 2.5 to 3.5 months, so we need a lot in fermenters.

We brew a 10 gal batch every 2 weeks to try and get ahead for when we share with friends, some times we go 3 weeks in-between brewing :(

Be happy, drink beer !

Installed a utility sink with hot and cold water

Damn... You beat me. Mine only has hot water :cross:

Just kidding... I wish I had a house with a big clean basement. I'm going electric, so I decided to frame off a small room in our small dungeon of a basement ceilings that hardly reach 6'. I bought a new HE washer/dryer last week and re plumbed down there to move them out of the way and added a large sink basin. Then I rearranged all the shelves. I think it'll turn out well. It'll be small, but It'll be a HUGE improvement. I have a 20gal boilermaker system that I have to tear apart and assemble every time I brew. It sucks.

I'm also thinking about putting in this portable AC unit I have. I figure the basement does a good job stabilizing the temp. With the ac and a small space heater, the whole room can be a fermenting chamber with out doing all the insulation. Then I won't have to worry about refrigerating my conical and I can ferment more than one vessel. I never lager, but I can use the fridge when I do.

Damn... You beat me. Mine only has hot water :cross:

Just kidding... I wish I had a house with a big clean basement. I'm going electric, so I decided to frame off a small room in our small dungeon of a basement ceilings that hardly reach 6'. I bought a new HE washer/dryer last week and re plumbed down there to move them out of the way and added a large sink basin. Then I rearranged all the shelves. I think it'll turn out well. It'll be small, but It'll be a HUGE improvement. I have a 20gal boilermaker system that I have to tear apart and assemble every time I brew. It sucks.

I'm also thinking about putting in this portable AC unit I have. I figure the basement does a good job stabilizing the temp. With the ac and a small space heater, the whole room can be a fermenting chamber with out doing all the insulation. Then I won't have to worry about refrigerating my conical and I can ferment more than one vessel. I never lager, but I can use the fridge when I do.

Hello, the A/C unit and heater will work great, that is exactly what I did in my brew room, I have it set at 70 deg for age/conditioning my brews and use a swamp cooler for the first 7 days of primary fermentation to maintain 64 to 65 deg, with the room at 69 to 70 deg the swamp cooler only need 1 32oz frozen bottle about every 12 hrs most of the time.

Since its 120 deg here for about 3 months during summer, I went with a 6000 BTU A/C unit for my room, the room is 6'6"x14' and during the 120 days the A/C unit will keep the room at 70 deg and will keep it at 64 deg but its working its butt off at 64 deg.

So Im guessing in a basement you could use a very low BTU unit and do just fine, its a bit of a pain to get the heater and A/C unit working together but if you watch them for 2 to 3 days you can dial them in.

Good luck with your project, if I can help or answer any questions just ask!

Back