My neighbor just crashed his car into my house

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good 'ol Crystal Lake..... A few weeks ago I saw a guy hanging outta an open driver side door in a red monte carlo at the corner of my street. I thought he was dead. Nope! Just wasted. How do you "fall asleep" hanging out the door with the car on?

Two months back I had to stop the car and drag a drunk outta the middle of the road so he wouldn't get run over. It was 3am on a saturday night (sunday morning) and he was blacked out on a dark street. Ass clown tried to swing on me too. Lucky for him I was feeling nice and I was rather appreciative that he had tried to walk.

People need to cab/walk or stay home!

Hope everything works out well for you...

I've been hit twice by drunk drivers so I have zero tolerance or patience. People like that need help, but, it doesn't really exist. Locking them up just takes their license away and they continue to **** off and mess things up. Rehab costs countless dollars and doesn;t work for those uninterested in it. Jail is a cakewalk and prison just turns morons into career criminals. I'd like to bring back lashings for drunks (or anyone wrecklessly endangering others). Getting whipped in public, and scarred for life, would be a nice deterrent. BTW, I'm dead serious. FTR, I went to jail for beating a drunk driver within an inch of his life for clipping me. I felt it was justified. Whats better? Scare them to the point that they change their ways or force the less apathetic citizens to lay out wildwest justice?

What if people were walking down the sidewalk? Murphy's law always wins. I see it all the time.

What if people were walking down the sidewalk? Murphy's law always wins. I see it all the time.

After thinking about it more you are correct.I`m on the North Shore,and little kids are
always playing on the street along with joggers,cyclist`s and lots of walkers.I`m glad at the time it happened none of the above were in the area.Even though the guy is decent he obviously has a major problem as a repeat offender.Time will tell if I see him driving again and will be reported.

Yo, Stikks! I just came home from Crystal Lake [chiropractor and Brew-n-Grow]. If I had known where you lived in C.L., I would have driven by and looked at the damage!

You are doing exactly what you need to do: LET THE INSURANCE COMPANY HANDLE THE ENTIRE THING. But don't sign ANYTHING until all the repairs are completed to YOUR satisfaction.

glenn514:mug:

Thanks for the support.I see At the derby you had Take Charge Indy in
the race I put a few bucks on him (for the Hometown) I think he finished
second to last.Great race anyway.Still waiting on call from ins.co. on this
mess over here.

Cheers

The owners are suspecting a possible injury during the race, since the horse just kind of faded into the sunset. Haven't heard anything new lately.

Sure hope that the insurance company and the adjuster get going on repairing the damage to your house. Is the dude that did it behind bars yet?

No,I dont think so but my buddy saw him at the bar down the street 2 days ago.
Some people will never learn.I dont think he will be around much longer though.
Through the grapevine in the neighborhood this is his 3rd strike with DUI.

Hey get your drinking in BEFORE the conviction. Sounds like he's going to need some of your homebrew advice for on the inside, btw... something involving ketchup and a sweat sock.

/sarcasm. Your neighbor is the very definition of a tool.

So does he have 12 tickets from the past, or did he rack up 12 in this incident alone.

DWI x 2, I am assuming he was probably over 0.16 which in most states counts as 2 DWIs
Wreckless Endangerment
Driving without Insurance?
Hit and Run
Evading arrest

I am pretty sure there was a wreck.

Thats right up there with decongestant. Since your nose has been running for 24 hours straight, what you really want is a CONgestant.

Since when is Crystal Lake considered the North Shore? Just sayin'...

There are 2 sides of the lake,The North Shore which is on the north side is
Crystal Lake (the city of) the south and west sides of the lake are considered
The Village of Lakewood -just sayin`-

That is so sad and what a mess you have to go through with insurance paperwork when it wasn’t even your fault! I hope it’s not too much of a hassle and his insurance company will cover it all. This is why I recommend people get home auto insurance, because you never know when freaky stuff like this can happen and you’ll end up paying out of pocket.

There are 2 sides of the lake,The North Shore which is on the north side is
Crystal Lake (the city of) the south and west sides of the lake are considered
The Village of Lakewood -just sayin`-

I didn't intend to start anything... I was referring to the overall North Shore definition that usually refers to the suburbs directly north of Chicago that border Lake Michigan (i.e. Wilmette, Winnetka, Glencoe, Highland Park, etc.). I did have a really good family friend from Crystal Lake growing up. Good people there from what I remember.

I didn't intend to start anything... I was referring to the overall North Shore definition that usually refers to the suburbs directly north of Chicago that border Lake Michigan (i.e. Wilmette, Winnetka, Glencoe, Highland Park, etc.). I did have a really good family friend from Crystal Lake growing up. Good people there from what I remember.

I understand,people that don`t live here think that the whole lake belongs
to the city of Crystal Lake.A few years ago there was a big legal battle of
who owns the lake.There is actually a dividing line in the middle of the lake
that defines who owns the lakefront property and the water itself.I`ve been
here since `78 and it is just a bunch of legal mumbo jumbo which makes me
sick.Any way have not heard a thing from ins. co. yet,it`s been 1 week so
I think I will call by friday to see where i stand.Thanks for your support.

Cheers

That is so sad and what a mess you have to go through with insurance paperwork when it wasn’t even your fault! I hope it’s not too much of a hassle and his insurance company will cover it all. This is why I recommend people get home auto insurance, because you never know when freaky stuff like this can happen and you’ll end up paying out of pocket.

I know what you mean.So far nothing from my homeowners yet,maybe I
will here something by friday.I`m actually from SoCal myself,Orange County.
Moved here in `78.Thanks for the support.

Cheers

Hi! Any updates?
I landed on this forum after googling and found out a similar thing happened a month ago.
This is my first post and I never had heard anything like a car hitting a wall.

Last Friday my family and I were sleeping (4 of us) with our heads against the wall. (King size + Full size bed). All of a sudden a loud noise. In Short, a silverado caved in our wall after running over a chain link fence. our negihbor wasnt using their garage but instead parks on the driveway in an angle. apparently she hit the gas instead of the brake in panic after confusion on her kids noise.
thank God, noone's hurt. but if she turned left 4ft, my daughter could have been hit and if 8 ft left, we all couldve died in our sleep.
Our home insurance's adjuster is coming tomorrow since they dont work on Fridays.
ive read this whole thread and would like to know any more inputs from you guys.

does their adjuster need to see the damage inside our home?
does our near death have any bearings?

Please help homebrewers!

Damage inside the home will be relevant to calculating cost, so yes, they need to see inside. If her insurance's offer is under what you consider to be fair, then you can sue for mental stress and/or other damages if you so choose.

Thanks HangGlider!
Yeah, there'll be a lot of interference to my otherwise quiet life. :(
The trauma is subsiding and I don't want to bring this any further than restoration to what it used to be.

Is it possible to have it repaired in SoCal w/o a permitted contractor? Meaning, me and my friends will just fix it. And use the markup of a licensed contractor to upgrade the materials. Any ideas?

Is it possible to have it repaired in SoCal w/o a permitted contractor? Meaning, me and my friends will just fix it. And use the markup of a licensed contractor to upgrade the materials. Any ideas?

Her ins. company will give you depreciated value.What I did was use my
homeowners ins.They cut me an actual value check in 10 days.When the
work is completed they will pay me any additional replacement cost
which my policy carries.It took me 3 weeks to find matching siding which
I will be repacing next Sat.I had to pay a 500 deductible which my
ins. co. said I could recover from the responsible party.That may take a
while though.If need be I will go to small claims court to recover.I`ll keep
this thread updated as to how the ins. process proceeds.

Cheers

Well, it`s been 1 year to the day this dude ran into my house.I`ve got
all the repairs done.The NEIGHBOR is in jail for 3 years and I got $1180
in restitution and received $125 so far.I probably will be dead before I
any more $ from him.Anyway whoever followed this thread from last year
I`ve got a a few pics of the repairs,If anyone has any questions of how
the insurance proceedings went If anybody has a run in :) like this
happen to them (god forbid),

Brewin` Blue Moon this weekend.4th batch this year.

before and after pictures.The last pic is my setup just for grins. (Ghetto:rockin:)

Cheers

wreck 003.jpg

house  done 003.jpg

wreck 009.jpg

house  done 001.jpg

brew setup 001.jpg

Well, it`s been 1 year to the day this dude ran into my house.I`ve got
all the repairs done.The NEIGHBOR is in jail for 3 years and I got $1180
in restitution and received $125 so far.I probably will be dead before I
any more $ from him.

From personal exp, write off the money, but keep on it and you might get a surprise. I had a guy run a red light and T-bone my Jeep in FL. Of course no insurance, he was drunk, driving without a license. I ended up out of pocket about 1200 after my Insurnace finished paying. The Judge just gave him probation and he ended up leaving the state.

Well ever Quarter, I called the case officer to check on status. After about 3 years the guy came back to FL and busted for something else. The case officer told the Judge that I had stayed in contact and still hadn't received my money. Judge ordered him jailed until I was paid, and that my bill went to the head of the line over new fines, or State Farm from where my Insurance paid me, so his Mom bailed him out and I got my check.

Certainly wasn't expecting it, but it was worth the 10-12 10 min calls over the years.

My daughter had a vehicle rear-end her car. The woman, an older woman, had no insurance. The older woman was given a ticket for both inattentive driving and driving with no insurance. My daughter took the woman to small claims court and got a judgment against her in the amount of the insurance estimate. When the woman defaulted after two payments, my daughter took her back to the same court where the woman was found in contempt and was given a choice: make the monthly payments or go to jail.

My daughter simply kept at it. So, don't let your out-of-pocket costs and other losses slide. Keep after the guy!

My daughter had a vehicle rear-end her car. The woman, an older woman, had no insurance. The older woman was given a ticket for both inattentive driving and driving with no insurance. My daughter took the woman to small claims court and got a judgment against her in the amount of the insurance estimate. When the woman defaulted after two payments, my daughter took her back to the same court where the woman was found in contempt and was given a choice: make the monthly payments or go to jail.

My daughter simply kept at it. So, don't let your out-of-pocket costs and other losses slide. Keep after the guy!

Thanks for the reply Glen.It`s been 2 months since I got the $125,I think
his probation officer told him to bring some money to his sentencing and that
is all he brought.He got fined like $2500 and has to do some time and still
owes me about $1200.1 question though,if he is in jail how can I get anymore
$ out of him?I guess my next move should be calling his P.O. officer and
see what she has to say.I don`t know if she can do anything though.I`m
only a half hour from you Glen,we should swap a couple brews someday.
Thanks again.

Cheers

Stikks...

Yes, contact the ****** bag's parole officer...and keep in contact with him/her. You also may want to contact the insurance company that was covering him...and again, keep in contact with him/her. Don't let them forget about you and what you are owed.

And I am in Crystal Lake quite often!

Stikks...

Yes, contact the ****** bag's parole officer...and keep in contact with him/her. You also may want to contact the insurance company that was covering him...and again, keep in contact with him/her. Don't let them forget about you and what you are owed.

Yep, just keep in contact with the PO and let them know you aren't going away. If you keep in contact with the PO, they will make sure that your money getting paid is part of the guys Parole requirement when he gets out of Jail. If he had insurance, they should be the ones covering anything you were out of pocket so you can contact them also. If he didn't and your insurance paid for things, then it is even more important to keep in touch with the PO because they will make sure you get your money as part of the condition of him getting and staying out of jail. If you don't do it that way, you can bet your insurance company will keep him tied up with lawyers trying to get there money back, and they will become more important to pay off to him than you are, because they will be after him more.

Yep, just keep in contact with the PO and let them know you aren't going away. If you keep in contact with the PO, they will make sure that your money getting paid is part of the guys Parole requirement when he gets out of Jail. If he had insurance, they should be the ones covering anything you were out of pocket so you can contact them also. If he didn't and your insurance paid for things, then it is even more important to keep in touch with the PO because they will make sure you get your money as part of the condition of him getting and staying out of jail. If you don't do it that way, you can bet your insurance company will keep him tied up with lawyers trying to get there money back, and they will become more important to pay off to him than you are, because they will be after him more.

Thanks for the info JD.I called the P.O. 5 days ago and got a check today for
$100.The dude still owes me $950 but your incite created a result and I thank
you for that. :rockin:

Cheers Bro`

Stikks...

Same to ya` Glen.Thanks for the incite.

Cheers

Back