My little brewing experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zdc1775

Reaction score
I decided that I wanted to try something different from my standard brews of English Ales, IPA's, and Porters, so on July 3rd I brewed my first NEIPA and used Hornidal Kveik for the first time. Recipe was 5 lbs 2 Row, 5 lbs Maris Otter, .5 lb Amber, and .5 lb Carapils. Mash was 148 for 60 minutes then mashout at 160. Pre boil gravity was 1.048. Added .5 oz of Warrior at 60 minutes, then 1 oz each of Amarillo, Citra, and Simcoe at flame out and whirlpool at 170 for 15 minutes. OG was 1.064

Cooled the wort to 80 and pitched the Hornidal with the fermenter set to 85 and two hours later I already had a krausen forming and saw significant airlock activity. 18 hours later (7-4-20) the airlock was basically a continuous stream of CO2 and the fermenting wort almost looked like it was simmering. Took a gravity reading at that time and added 2 oz each of Amarillo, Citra, and Simcoe. The wort had already dropped to 1.022.

Second gravity check at 40 hours post pitch (7-5-20) showed the beer at FG of 1.011 checked again today (7-6-20) and it was unchanged so I plan to keg on Wednesday (7-8-20) and let it carbonate while I am out of town for the weekend.

So far I am extremely impressed with Hornidal yeast and based off of the taste of the gravity sample I believe that I am going to very much enjoy this beer.

I have heard the keveik yeasts are crazy fast and warm fermentors. I hope it turns out great. Usually there is no 60 min hops in a NEIPA. I'm sure it will be good.

My last two NEIPAs have been with hornindal. I've been very happy with both. Despite having a nice diacetyl rest, I've had intermittent problems with diacetyl using 1318 (my old go-to for NEIPAs). I probably won't brew with it again given how well the hornindal has worked out.

So I kegged the beer on Wednesday (7-8-20) and did one test pour after I got home last night (7-12-20) and despite it be a little under carbonated I am impressed. I turned up the CO2 last night and will give it another try and get some pictures tonight.

I have heard the keveik yeasts are crazy fast and warm fermentors. I hope it turns out great. Usually there is no 60 min hops in a NEIPA. I'm sure it will be good.

I can attest to the Kveik being a good fast fermenter. I did the 60 minute addition because I like my NEIPA's to still have a little bitterness and not just the juiciness.

My last two NEIPAs have been with hornindal. I've been very happy with both. Despite having a nice diacetyl rest, I've had intermittent problems with diacetyl using 1318 (my old go-to for NEIPAs). I probably won't brew with it again given how well the hornindal has worked out.

After this use I think that I am going to try a split batch of my porter with WPL007 and Hornidal to see the difference.

Had another glass last night. Carbonation was much better, the flavor is almost exactly what I was hoping for, but the color is a little darker than I hoped it would be.

20200713_183044.jpg

That is pretty dark if you're going for NEIPA, but if it tastes good, don't worry about it. Hornindal is good stuff, great in light and dark worts, blondes/kolsch-style and black IPAs especially. I think it'd be great in a porter or stout as well.

if it tastes good, don't worry about it.

+1

If you’d like to adjust the color to a lighter shade, consider eliminating the amber malt and subbing some of your base malt with flaked oats or flaked wheat.

One last input, I love fermenting my kveik warm but don’t like the dry hopping on the hotter side. The hop character from dry hopping doesn’t seem to be as soft and I suspect it contributes to the “murky” brown/purple that some NEIPA’s unpleasantly have (in addition to oxidation).

+1

If you’d like to adjust the color to a lighter shade, consider eliminating the amber malt and subbing some of your base malt with flaked oats or flaked wheat.

One last input, I love fermenting my kveik warm but don’t like the dry hopping on the hotter side. The hop character from dry hopping doesn’t seem to be as soft and I suspect it contributes to the “murky” brown/purple that some NEIPA’s unpleasantly have (in addition to oxidation).
But on the bright side (pun intended), you can call it Purple Haze or LA Smog :D

+1

While the color doesn't actually bother me and it certainly does not decrease my enjoyment of the beer at all, I do think next time I try something similar I will probably just use a 50/50 mix of MO and 2-Row.

I also noticed that the dry hops seem to have a harsher taste than I normally get with my normal IPA's.

But on the bright side (pun intended), you can call it Purple Haze or LA Smog :D

I like that idea. LA Smog it is.

I can attest to the Kveik being a good fast fermenter. I did the 60 minute addition because I like my NEIPA's to still have a little bitterness and not just the juiciness.
Yea, I like more bitterness than most NEIPAs usually have also. Glad to hear it is tasting good. :mug:

Back