My Latest Purchase

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRGSPE73

Reaction score
So I decided to pick up a couple of cases over the weekend::D

GD-DFH2_200525.JPG

I was really looking for the DFH 120, but the distributor only had the 60 and 90...that's fine though, I'm sure the 120 would have cost me an arm and a leg (the 90 was $51 after tax).

The Great Divide Sampler has four different beers:
Denver Pale Ale
Titan IPA
Hot Shot ESB
Saint Bridget's Robust Porter

I've heard some good things about Great Divide on this board, so I figured I'd give the sampler a shot. I haven't had an ESB yet, so that will probably be the first one I crack open (didn't have room in the fridge until cleaning it out tonight, so they're not cold yet:()...I'll post some reviews as I sample them all. And the best part is that SWMBO won't drink any of them, except maybe the Pale Ale...more for me! Of course, I will be brewing her a Belgian Wit relatively soon...

Oh, those beers are all terrible. They are so bad that if you drink them you will never want another beer. I advise you call up your local UPS guy and have them sent to me for proper disposal. No thanks needed, just doing my part.

Brewpastor said:
Oh, those beers are all terrible. They are so bad that if you drink them you will never want another beer. I advise you call up your local UPS guy and have them sent to me for proper disposal. No thanks needed, just doing my part.

I don't appreciate being lied to by a man of the cloth...but I guess all's fair in love, war, and beer.:)

Pastor's not speaking the truth? I am shocked! But regardless, I will gladly save you from the vice that is before you and the dark road it sets. Such is the sacrific I would make for my fellow brewer.

Yeah the dfh 120 would be over 216 dollars for a case (8.99 per 12 oz.). But then again it would take me years to drink 24 20 abv beers (1 sip per 10 min. =1/2 ounce per 10 min.=4 hours per bottle)

Dude,
I also saw that my distributor had cases of Arrogant Bastard and Stone IPA (12 packs of 22oz.)...what do you typically pay for these? I'm definitely interested in trying the IPA, but I don't want to get ripped off on a case. (already had AB - a bit hoppy for my liking, but I could see that changing soon, as I'm starting to develop an increased affinity for hops).

Is it wrong if seeing a whole case of DFH 90 makes me feel good in the pants? :ban:

My local store just got some in and they are $43 plus deposit. And they sell the 4 packs there for $9.99. I'll be getting a case really soon.

JRGSPE73 said:
Dude,
I also saw that my distributor had cases of Arrogant Bastard and Stone IPA (12 packs of 22oz.)...what do you typically pay for these? I'm definitely interested in trying the IPA, but I don't want to get ripped off on a case. (already had AB - a bit hoppy for my liking, but I could see that changing soon, as I'm starting to develop an increased affinity for hops).

Not sure about the 22 oz bombers of Stone IPA, but Arrogant Bastard has gone up to 4.59 for a bottle recently. I love Arrogant Bastard (it is in my top 5) but wow.....that is tough to fork out almost 5 bucks for one bottle.

I have found many good beers for cheaper--mainly Hop Rod Rye. I recently got a case for 45 bucks--that comes to $3.75 a bottle, which is a steal, considering. I'd put that beer up against any I've ever had, and prolly say it is the best.

JRGSPE73 said:
Dude,
I also saw that my distributor had cases of Arrogant Bastard and Stone IPA (12 packs of 22oz.)..

Very nice. I actually picked up a Stone IPA and a Stone Ruination IPA (im pretty sure that was the name)over the weekend. The ruination was very tasty, I think I may go pick up another one today.

JRGSPE73 said:
I don't appreciate being lied to by a man of the cloth...but I guess all's fair in love, war, and beer.:)

Some would say men of the cloth lie every Sunday... ;)

I think Stone IPA is $3.99 here in the R-I-C. Not sure about AB as I haven't tried it yet.

Please let us know how the Great Divide is as I almost bought some last week.

Dude said:
Not sure about the 22 oz bombers of Stone IPA, but Arrogant Bastard has gone up to 4.59 for a bottle recently. I love Arrogant Bastard (it is in my top 5) but wow.....that is tough to fork out almost 5 bucks for one bottle.

I have found many good beers for cheaper--mainly Hop Rod Rye. I recently got a case for 45 bucks--that comes to $3.75 a bottle, which is a steal, considering. I'd put that beer up against any I've ever had, and prolly say it is the best.

Yeah, when I bought an individual bottle of AB from a local deli, I paid $7 for it...but it was worth it, since I really wanted to try it. However, the case I saw at the distributor over the weekend was $40...which seems like a steal since you said you're paying $4.59 a bottle...$40 works out to just over $3 per 22 oz. bomber. That's one good thing about Pennsylvania...we might not be able to buy beer in grocery stores, but we can buy it cheaper by the case at distributors :)

JRGSPE73 said:
However, the case I saw at the distributor over the weekend was $40...which seems like a steal since you said you're paying $4.59 a bottle...$40 works out to just over $3 per 22 oz. bomber. That's one good thing about Pennsylvania...we might not be able to buy beer in grocery stores, but we can buy it cheaper by the case at distributors :)

Yah, I'd be all over that.

HurricaneFloyd said:
Please let us know how the Great Divide is as I almost bought some last week.

Here's how my sampling has gone so far (have yet to try the Titan IPA or St. Bridget's Porter):

Great Divide Hot Shot ESB:
I should note that I dont have a basis of comparison as far as the style goes, as this was my first ESB. This beer poured with a very nice head, which laced nicely almost the entire way down, and a golden amber color. Fairly balanced aroma and flavor, with just the slightest hint of some sort of toasted grain. Mouthfeel was good, not over-carbonated, just enough to let you know it's there. The finish is very nice, the hop bitterness is there, but not overpowering. With this being my first ESB, I was pleasantly surprised with the balance...I was expecting the hop bitterness to be almost overpowering, but there was just enough maltiness to balance everything out. Overall: 7.5/10

Great Divide Denver Pale Ale:
This one caught me off guard at first...after the first sip, I had to double check the bottle and make sure I didn't open the IPA. This one pours with a lot of head and a very clear yellow-orange color. The head was pretty much gone after the first few sips. Not an overpowering hop aroma, but take that first sip and you can definitely tell this is a hopped-up pale ale. Not overly bitter by any means, but lots of hop flavor. Lots of carbonation, but not unpleasant. I would say this probably had less of a malt profile than the ESB, but it was still there in a subtle way. Definitely a great pale ale for the hopheads out there. Overall: 7/10

Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA:

If the Denver Pale Ale caught me off guard...then this one hit me with a cheap shot that my non-existent children must have felt. Everything started off fine - it was a bit darker than I expected for an IPA, with a ton of head, but overall looked and smelled fantastic. I could smell the hop aroma flying off the head. The first few sips were about what I was expecting - plenty of hop flavor, very pleasant, offset by subtle hints of malt and toasted grains. After a while, though, as the beer warmed a bit, the toasted flavor became more and more prominent. By the end, that was almost all that I could taste. Surprisingly, though, I thought this was fantastic. I have never had a beer change and evolve that much from start to finish, and I found it rather pleasant. With the 90 minutes of continous hop additions, plus all the dry hopping, I was expecting the hop flavor to all but overpower the malts and grains. I actually think that overall the 60 minute is hoppier (is that a word...I hope so), but the 90 is a much more balanced and enjoyable brew. I'm glad I bought a whole case of this one...now I just gotta find some 120 :rockin: Overall: 9/10

I can get Stone IPA for $3.69 and Arrogant Bastard for about $4.50. On the flipside, I can't get DFH at all :mad: You guys back east tell DFH to start shipping out west. If you can get Stone and Bear Republic, then I should get at least something east of the Mississippi.

JRGSPE73 said:
Yeah, when I bought an individual bottle of AB from a local deli, I paid $7 for it...but it was worth it, since I really wanted to try it. However, the case I saw at the distributor over the weekend was $40...which seems like a steal since you said you're paying $4.59 a bottle...$40 works out to just over $3 per 22 oz. bomber. That's one good thing about Pennsylvania...we might not be able to buy beer in grocery stores, but we can buy it cheaper by the case at distributors :)
i bought a case of the AB for about $40 sometime last year at Exton Beverage.... definitely a good deal....
what beer distributor did you go to JR?

JRGSPE73 said:
Here's how my sampling has gone so far (have yet to try the Titan IPA or St. Bridget's Porter):

Great Divide Hot Shot ESB:
I should note that I dont have a basis of comparison as far as the style goes, as this was my first ESB. This beer poured with a very nice head, which laced nicely almost the entire way down, and a golden amber color. Fairly balanced aroma and flavor, with just the slightest hint of some sort of toasted grain. Mouthfeel was good, not over-carbonated, just enough to let you know it's there. The finish is very nice, the hop bitterness is there, but not overpowering. With this being my first ESB, I was pleasantly surprised with the balance...I was expecting the hop bitterness to be almost overpowering, but there was just enough maltiness to balance everything out. Overall: 7.5/10

Great Divide Denver Pale Ale:
This one caught me off guard at first...after the first sip, I had to double check the bottle and make sure I didn't open the IPA. This one pours with a lot of head and a very clear yellow-orange color. The head was pretty much gone after the first few sips. Not an overpowering hop aroma, but take that first sip and you can definitely tell this is a hopped-up pale ale. Not overly bitter by any means, but lots of hop flavor. Lots of carbonation, but not unpleasant. I would say this probably had less of a malt profile than the ESB, but it was still there in a subtle way. Definitely a great pale ale for the hopheads out there. Overall: 7/10

Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA:
If the Denver Pale Ale caught me off guard...then this one hit me with a cheap shot that my non-existent children must have felt. Everything started off fine - it was a bit darker than I expected for an IPA, with a ton of head, but overall looked and smelled fantastic. I could smell the hop aroma flying off the head. The first few sips were about what I was expecting - plenty of hop flavor, very pleasant, offset by subtle hints of malt and toasted grains. After a while, though, as the beer warmed a bit, the toasted flavor became more and more prominent. By the end, that was almost all that I could taste. Surprisingly, though, I thought this was fantastic. I have never had a beer change and evolve that much from start to finish, and I found it rather pleasant. With the 90 minutes of continous hop additions, plus all the dry hopping, I was expecting the hop flavor to all but overpower the malts and grains. I actually think that overall the 60 minute is hoppier (is that a word...I hope so), but the 90 is a much more balanced and enjoyable brew. I'm glad I bought a whole case of this one...now I just gotta find some 120
Overall: 9/10

Good reviews. I love reading posts like these. :rockin:

I can't wait for you to try the Titan IPA.
I've got to rank DFH that high as well, even though I don't want to. :( The prices for that stuff is just too much for me to be able to drink it regularly. :mad:

Brewsmith said:
I can get Stone IPA for $3.69 and Arrogant Bastard for about $4.50. On the flipside, I can't get DFH at all :mad: You guys back east tell DFH to start shipping out west. If you can get Stone and Bear Republic, then I should get at least something east of the Mississippi.

I just read their newsletter and they are currently expanding the brewery so maybe you'll get some out there eventually.

Lou said:
i bought a case of the AB for about $40 sometime last year at Exton Beverage.... definitely a good deal....
what beer distributor did you go to JR?

I got the Great Divide sampler at Beerworld in the Andorra shopping center. They had DFH too, but I went to another place to see if the had the 120...Unfortunately, they didn't, so thats why I got the 90...it's a place pretty close to my apartment in Norristown, Red's Beer Barn...not really a barn, just a store in a shopping center

Brewsmith said:
I checked my facts yesterday and I was wrong. :eek: I can get all regular stone brews (Pale Ale, IPA, Arrogant Bastard) for $3.29. Limited releases run around $4.50 (Imperial Stout, Old Guardian Barleywine, Double Bastard etc.) Sorry you guys back east, I'm getting a deal (Although still no DFH).

Latest posts

Back