My Latest Project - Walk-in Cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scalliwag said:
This is pretty hardcore brew-love to do a project this big. I read the whole thread and was beyond impressed. How has this played out on your electric bill? I read the post where you calculated about $12.50 in electricity per month. Has that seemed to be the case though? The initial investment and all the work is a bit, but not bad. But the most impressive part is it seems to be incredibly inexpensive to maintain.

Yeah, that was August... I bet it isn't costing me $5 during the cooler months. Its rare I even here the A/C turn on...

drouillp said:
This is amazing. I have ideas for this type of project when we finally get our own place.

I'm curious if you had thought about a slotted plastic sheet (rather thick sheet of vynl or the like) in the doorway to keep as much air in as possible when going in/out.

Nice job! Cheers! :mug:

I thought about it and was even going to experiment with it but the way I did the thermostat seems to allow the air to exchange and not instantly kick on the A/C. I bet it gets opened several times a day as we also are using it as a spare frigerator (all our cokes and stuff are in there too) and it doesn't seem to effect it at all.

kool beans...Great project...read about you in zymurgy...you guys got it going on...read your whole blog...signed up on hbt...well organized project...buddy brown nfbl, tallahassee fl...

Great project John_Beere. I also saw it in Zymurgy and it was awesome. I must say I feel star struck with folks getting published in national magazines.Between you and BrewPastor HBT is well represented. :mug:

AC.
Update on the AC: I test wired a new Ranco controller into the AC this evening. This was the step I was most worried about and, now that its done, I can't believe how easy it was... I was able to completely bypass the built-in controls on the first try. I will officially re-wire it tomorrow. The diagram at http://franklinbrew.org/members/sj/walkin.html is correct, even for my brand new AC.

Not sure if anyone has already asked this question, but is it possible to just change the existing temp controller in the AC unit to allow it to go down past the 40F limit?

breyton said:
AC.

Not sure if anyone has already asked this question, but is it possible to just change the existing temp controller in the AC unit to allow it to go down past the 40F limit?

I think it might be possible with an older unit but it would be a crapshoot on the exact temperature. Newer units are microprocessor controlled and I would have no idea how to reprogram it to do lower than 60... especially when an new Ranco is only $50 on eBay.

Its hard to believe, but the cooler has been operational for over a year now... holding strong at 36 degrees. The only problem I've run into is some of the adhesive holding the paneling on has come loose on the door - but thats hardly a problem.

The cooler has become a real bonus to our house... we can go to Sams Club and basically get anything we want - 'cause there is always room in the cooler. We also stage all our drinks out there and just bring em in as we need them.

I never gave a breakdown on cost - never really wanted to know exactly - but my best guestimate is around $1,400~$1,500 including all the storage racks used inside.

Well, as a newbie I just found this thread and read the ENTIRE thing. Very impressive work and just an awesome amount of information.

Just thought I would add my .02

Hey Ed, the cooler is still running strong. FYI, I now run it at 34 degress (instead of 36) with a 2 degree diferential. It runs for about 5~10 mins ever 90 mins or so. We use it for all sorts of stuff and has become a great addition to our house. The only problem I’m having is a cosmetic one. The A/C has drawn all the moisture out of the glue I used to tack the plastic sheeting on the inside and it is coming loose in several places. I plan on turn it off for a day and using heavy double stick tape to tack it all back down.

FYI, I'm still around but life and work have taken precendence. Looks like things are settling back down for me though... hope to be more active soon.

Hey Ed, the cooler is still running strong. FYI, I now run it at 34 degress (instead of 36) with a 2 degree diferential. It runs for about 5~10 mins ever 90 mins or so. We use it for all sorts of stuff and has become a great addition to our house. The only problem I’m having is a cosmetic one. The A/C has drawn all the moisture out of the glue I used to tack the plastic sheeting on the inside and it is coming loose in several places. I plan on turn it off for a day and using heavy double stick tape to tack it all back down.

FYI, I'm still around but life and work have taken precendence. Looks like things are settling back down for me though... hope to be more active soon.

what about epoxy?

John I just saw this thread for the first time. Many kudos on your fabrication and documentation. I've been toying with the idea of doing this myself and your experience has really helped make it a tangible goal for whenever I get around to it. Thanks for all your work.

isn't that a bigger version of a Love controller or Ranco controller?

I like this quote from their "How To" page:

CoolBot said:
Install any brand of window A/C unit which you've purchased separately. (See the table below for sizing.) We just cut a sloppy hole in the wall of our home-built walk-in cooler with a chain saw, stuffed the A/C unit into the hole, and then used “Great Stuff” foam sealant to seal up the gaps.

Classy...

I'll admit that I don't really get it and not sure how you don't have to make any modifications to the A/C unit.

My cooler doesn't have a defrost cycle. Instead I have several 12 volt fans which always blow "warmer than freezing" air over the coils - which completely eliminate any ice build-up.

Basically it looks like that device will use the AC's own temperature sensor to turn it on and off. It has a wire that is either hot or cold to make the AC turn on or off, the rest is like a normal Ranco controller. It just also sense when you need to defrost (the AC is on but room temp air is coming out) and will turn the AC off until it defrosts I imagine.

Interesting product but not worth the money if you want to just take apart the AC unit some and hardwire it always on, then hook it up to a ranco/love controller, might need to point a fan at it like John says to let it defrost when it is not running

Basically it looks like that device will use the AC's own temperature sensor to turn it on and off. It has a wire that is either hot or cold to make the AC turn on or off, the rest is like a normal Ranco controller. It just also sense when you need to defrost (the AC is on but room temp air is coming out) and will turn the AC off until it defrosts I imagine.

Interesting product but not worth the money if you want to just take apart the AC unit some and hardwire it always on, then hook it up to a ranco/love controller, might need to point a fan at it like John says to let it defrost when it is not running

This was my take on it as well... that it just heated up the A/C's sensor where it was always hot.

I don't see any other way to efficiently do it other than run fans over the coils as you wouldn't believe the amount of condensation that it pulls out of the cooler - which would promptly turns to ice and freeze the whole coil up. I just don't know if you could run a defrost cycle long enough without the aid of a fan. Well, not at the temperature differential I'm holding it at (I now keep it at 33 degrees).

**EDIT** Plus, there isn't much DIY spirit in the CoolBot... I mean, I wouldn't have taken half the pride in the project if I hadn't successfully hotwired the A/C.

**EDIT** Plus, there isn't much DIY spirit in the CoolBot... I mean, I wouldn't have taken half the pride in the project if I hadn't successfully hotwired the A/C.

Very true, the success of any DIY project is measured in the amount of bandaids required, plus any time in the emergency room automatically adds cool points!!

So this is my first time running across this thread..

YOU ARE EPIC. not because of the size of this project or the cost but because of the coolness rating! You have a homemade walk-in cooler, in your house.

Damn Cool

Freaking awesome man!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just ran across this thread for the first time and wish i could get a copy of the zymergy article now.

a friend from highschool went to school for HVAC repair stuff. So next summer we are planning on building a walk-in at our house and he is going to build our cooling unit himself from various parts he can pick up for cheap between now and then. I can't wait already!!! I am planning on getting a solar panel on the roof to power the cooling unit as well so that way my beer can be cold for free :D

WOW.. just WOW... *picks up jaw from ground* John, if still possible.. i'd love to read that Zymurgy article too!.. mad props! and congrats.

Finally got around to fixing the door yesterday but had missed this suggestion - heavy duty double stick tape worked really well but I might try epoxy on the trim that has come loose. Are there any epoxys that are thick enough to not drip?

somehow i figure better late than never because i missed the question origionally. Quick set 60 second epoxy wont really drip too much. Liquid nails works also and wouldnt drip but epoxy is much more permenent but you have to mix it first.

I read through this whole thread once again- your a true pioneer.

Thanks guys. FYI, the cooler is still holding strong at 35 degrees although I've modified the differential to 3 degrees since last posting.

I still haven't turned it off to fix the trim since it is just cosmetic and there is a ton of stuff inside there. I will look closer into the quick set epoxy.

I think its safe to just publically post the link to the Zymurgy article at this point... here it is.

Back