My kolsch recipe (Please critique!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertvrabel

Reaction score
I'm going to make a Kolsch next weekend. First one... and one of the first recipes I'm putting together on my own. Figured I'd post it up to get some feedback on it. Please let me know what you think!

Batch Size: 5 gallons
OG: 1.054
Color: 5.2 SRM
IBU: 21.8
Shooting for 70% efficiency

#8 German Bohemian Pilsner Malt
#1 Vienna Malt
#1 Wheat Malt
#.25 Light Crystal

1oz Tettnang 4.5% @60min
.5oz Tettnang 4.5% @10min

WL029 - German Ale/Kolsch Yeast.

Mash @152 for 60min

Plan to ferment at 62 for 2 days, 68 for 10-12 days (or whenever its reached FG). Rack to secondary, then lager at 40-50 in my garage for 4-5 weeks.

I would think about dropping the Crystal malt and maybe the wheat to .5# or less... I might drop the mash temp a degree or two. Other than that, I think it is a good looking recipe!

Let us know how it goes

Thanks, just out of curiosity... what would be the reasoning from dropping the crystal and wheat down?

I know dropping the mash temp will result in more fermentables, making a thinner less bodied beer.

I'm going to make a Kolsch next weekend. First one... and one of the first recipes I'm putting together on my own. Figured I'd post it up to get some feedback on it. Please let me know what you think!

Batch Size: 5 gallons
OG: 1.054
Color: 5.2 SRM
IBU: 21.8
Shooting for 70% efficiency

#8 German Bohemian Pilsner Malt
#1 Vienna Malt
#1 Wheat Malt
#.25 Light Crystal

1oz Tettnang 4.5% @60min
.5oz Tettnang 4.5% @10min

WL029 - German Ale/Kolsch Yeast.

Mash @152 for 60min

Plan to ferment at 62 for 2 days, 68 for 10-12 days (or whenever its reached FG). Rack to secondary, then lager at 40-50 in my garage for 4-5 weeks.

I would agree with Nealf to reduce the wheat and I would also get rid of the Vienna. Vienna seems to be a current faddish addition to Kolsch among homebrewers but it is neither traditional or needed. A good pilsner malt base doesn't need any help and this beer should be very light in color. Wheat is optional and is not used in the majority of real Kolsch brews but I would again agree with Nealf here and drop it back to about a half pound. At that use rate you won't taste it but it will help give the beer a very white head. My preference is also for a lower mash temp, I use 148/149F for the main rest. :mug:

Thanks, just out of curiosity... what would be the reasoning from dropping the crystal and wheat down?

Crystal malt provides color, flavor, and unfermentables that are not traditional in a Kolsch. I don't think at that amount it would be a terrible addition; but, it isn't something I would do.

I think 1# of wheat is a little much in a Kolsch as well... my recipe has .25# just for head retention and maybe a touch of body.

I'd drop the Vienna and Crystal entirely. That level of wheat is appropriate for a historical Kolsch (pre WW2).

Back