My kolsch recipe (Please critique)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertvrabel

Reaction score
I'm going to make a Kolsch next weekend, figured I'd post it up to get some feedback on it. Please let me know what you think!

Batch Size: 5 gallons
OG: 1.054
Color: 5.2 SRM
IBU: 21.8
Shooting for 70% efficiency

#8 German Bohemian Pilsner Malt
#1 Vienna Malt
#1 Wheat Malt
#.25 Light Crystal

1oz Tettnang 4.5% @60min
.5oz Tettnang 4.5% @10min

WL029 - German Ale/Kolsch Yeast.

Mash @152 for 60min

Plan to ferment at 62 for 2 days, 68 for 10-12 days (or whenever its reached FG). Rack to secondary, then lager at 40-50 in my garage for 4-5 weeks.

I haven't used the wl029 strain (used only wyeast equivalent, as that is what my lhbs carries), but it looks fine to me.

I'm going to make a Kolsch next weekend, figured I'd post it up to get some feedback on it. Please let me know what you think!

Batch Size: 5 gallons
OG: 1.054
Color: 5.2 SRM
IBU: 21.8
Shooting for 70% efficiency

#8 German Bohemian Pilsner Malt
#1 Vienna Malt
#1 Wheat Malt
#.25 Light Crystal

1oz Tettnang 4.5% @60min
.5oz Tettnang 4.5% @10min

WL029 - German Ale/Kolsch Yeast.

Mash @152 for 60min

Plan to ferment at 62 for 2 days, 68 for 10-12 days (or whenever its reached FG). Rack to secondary, then lager at 40-50 in my garage for 4-5 weeks.

I have a Kolsch on week 4 right now using the WL029 yeast. I am a fan of the WL version, but I can't really say it is any better than others, particularly the Wyeast.

Although I brew lots of styles, for some reason I kind of latched onto Kolsch, even getting a few dedicated brewing books on the topic. That said, if you are really going to the style, here is what I would recommend:

- as one of the posters stated, your gravity may be a bit on the high side. It is not too bad, but I would recommend more in the .46-.50 range.

- Your IBU's are good, although you can move up towards the upper 20's if you want. I use a 60 minute and 15 minute addition.

- Dryness is a key of the style. If you can manage it, I would try to mash around 150 or so for a more attenable wort. My last batch I did a 50 minute rest at 143, then a 30 minute rest at 158. This worked really well and I went from 1.050 - 1.007 in two weeks.

- One of the things that I learned from making Kolsch beers is that simple is better. Having four grains on the bill that you do will make a great tasting beer, but it might not be really true to the Kolsch style (this is somewhat arguable as some German "legal" Kolsch beers have similar grain bills). My suggestion is to lose the Vienna and up the Crystal (light - I use Caramel 10) to 1/2 pound, lower the wheat malt to 1/2 pound, and adjust your Pils malt to hit target SG. You really want to shoot for a low SRM beer, relying mainly on the Pils. Some Kolsch's actually use one grain only.

- Make sure you use Whirfloc. Again, clarity is a staple.

- If possible, use a starter. For your beer, about a liter works well.

- You will see a lot of postings on Kolsch ferment temps. Here is what has worked very well for me. (I will be using ambient air temps when talking temps). One key here is that your are using WL029 which is way different than most other Kolsch yeasts. You almost need to NOT follow typical fermentation schedules for Kolsch. After you pitch, let sit at 68 or greater until fermentation starts. Then, try to ferment where you can keep at room temps of 63 - 65'ish. Do this for two weeks. WL029 works very well at these temps, keeping sulfur down and esters minimized. Often, you will see active fermentation for almost the entire two weeks. At about day 14, check gravity. If you are within .003 of your target FG, rack to a secondary. (** I am a leave on the primary for 4 - 6 weeks person, but this is one of my few exceptions). Keep secondary at the same temps as primary for 1 -2 weeks, 2 weeks if you can stand it. You will notice the beer really clearing up nicely.

- The next step is what has separated some of my Kolsch beers. Lager for two weeks in the secondary. If you don't have a lager fridge, move to the garage or use a tub with cool water/ice and a towel. After the beer has cooled, usually within a day, add gelatin to drive one more effort at clarity.

- After two weeks lagering, keg/bottle as normal.

I love the Kolsch style the more dry and simple I have made them. WL029 is a great yeast for the homebrewer because it is a little more simple to manage for us average do-it-your selfers.

Good luck! If you have any questions I will do my best to answer them. Again, the above is what has worked well for me, and others may have ways that are different and work awesome for them.

Cheers!! :mug:

Broc

I'm going to agree with what Brocster said. Keep it simple, mash low and give the beer a good cold-conditioning time. Vienna is a popular homebrew addition to Kolsch but there is no reason to use it IMO. Malted wheat is an option, not a requirement. I use some at a rate of 6% of the grist to help yield a nice white fluffy head without really any taste. My Kolsch is mashed with a decoction using a short rest at 128F and a main rest at 148F. The WLP029 is a very good strain and makes an excellent Kolsch. Making a big starter is good advice. It is technically an ale yeast but does have many lager characteristics.

I think all suggestions here will make a great beer, but IMO I like a little more wheat in my kolsch. I would mash at 150, and not any higher....grain of salt

Back