My Hefeweizen is STRONG...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GnarlyChick

Reaction score
After 10 days of being in primary I checked the gravity and it was 1.009 and was suppose to be around 1.012, not too far off. So i bottled the next day. Its been about a week after bottling, I wanted to make sure everything was going as it should so I put a bottle in the fridge and opened it the next day. The carbonation was actually right on already, the flavor was great but it was very STRONG! Will this strong alcohol taste fade after a couple weeks? Or is this what its going to stay like? Also, what causes the gravity to go past where you intend it to be?

Is it possible your fermentation temps were too high? High temps can cause high attenuation and a hot alcohol taste. I have 5 gallons that's been sitting in bottles for 3 months now because its still undrinkable due to hot alcohol from high ferm temps (75C). Do you control your ferm temps?

Latest posts

Back