My heat broke... am I screwed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fender230

Reaction score
The "warmest" hot spot is 38F... I have some IPA in the secondary and I am fairly positive that fermentation is done though it came in a bit high as it does from time to time. Will the temperature affect clearing?

I am pretty sure it won't be too bad but I want some piece of mind. As I have heard a 100 times at this point "It is very hard to make beer that is undrinkable"

Heat should be back on by bottling time... I hope.

I just bottled an IPA that sat at 65 for a week in the secondary, then it went to the basement for 3 days at 38...just like yours. Now it's looking mighty fine!
You may not only have drinkable...you may have Awsome!:mug:

Boston can be a pretty crappy place when there is no heat but at least it will help the beer a bit.

Thanks for all the info. I wish NSTAR was as quick as you people.

So I was wrong about the whole fermentation thing being done... My secondary fermenter is not currently a misnomer. Light krausening has begun and the airlock is bubbling. It should be fine right? Heat came on last night and fermentation started again.

Could this just be the yeast waking up?

They probably just went dormant for a while when it got cold. Now they are waking up and finishing the job. I wouldn't think you would have any major flavor problems.

Let it finish fermenting, and then if you have the time, let it clear as long as you normally would after fermentation is done.

Since the fermentation started again, the yeast might have multiplied again and there will probably be extra yeast in suspension. Letting it go through the clearing process again will ensure that you have a clear beer.

However, most of the proteins, etc. will probably have fallen out when it got so cold, so it may be clear enough already. It's really personal preference about how clear you want your beer. Also, as FSR said above, cold is best for clearing, but warmth is best for aging. You're beer may be clear, but if you want to bulk age you'll need to let it age in the warmer temps.

Sorry for the super-long reply, and I'm no expert so take my answers with a grain of salt.

Back