my ghetto growlers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucfanmike

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This was an experiment to bring a bit of beer with me for a weekend camping trip. I made up a couple DIY carbonation caps. I poured 2 - 2 liters from a keg of oatmeal stout that i have chilled but isnt yet fully carbed and a 2 liter of blue moon clone that is carbed. I squeezed the bottles to remove all air and capped them and put on ice. I brought a 5lb co2 and put a tire filler on the end of the gas hose. Prior to serving I pumped about 20 lbs of co2 into the bottles and shook lightly for about 30 seconds and put the bottle back on ice to equalize. I did this a few times and ended with perfectly carbed beer. This worked incredibly well and will get me thru my camping season until i build a portable system next year.
7f560ebb.jpg

6047409d.jpg

This also was great for making carbed water that i used with a root beer extract syrup and also some fresh sodas with lemon/lime.

Mike in Duluth

followed this you tube video.

cost me $5 for 2 screw together tire stems from the local auto parts store.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
how could we use a paintball co2 tank? it may be perfect for getting pressure back up inside the bottle to prevent oxidation as well as keep it carbed as you run through the bottles but would not be as much stuff to carry around if going to a party or something

I do that same thing and it works great! I usually use 1L club soda bottles. On kegging/bottling day I will draw a sample into a 20oz bottle chill and force carb just to taste

Latest posts

Back