My Frankenstein eherms setup!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Itsott

Reaction score
I started my eherms build yesterday and made a little progress on it. I looked at all the options out there and changed stuff around to what I wanted. My wife threw a kink in the plans this morning with 2-15 gallon stainless kettles with valves on them. So here's a few pics I've taken so far.
I would like to thank a few people for answering my questions
Ryan from ebrewsupply has great customer service and will go above and beyond to help you out.
Bobby at brewhardware was also outstanding helping me figure out the set ups on my hlt and boil kettle
Hunter306 has answered a ton of my questions also.
Thanks for the help guys.
Getting pared riled for the punch
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392415917.582159.jpg
The punch set
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392415933.982436.jpg
Measuring for the plugs
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392415943.629258.jpg
All the holes punched for the lights and switches
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392415950.542746.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Just the fact that I pieced it together from everything I saw. Added stuff and took stuff off that I didn't want. The greenlee punches were outstanding however they are the conduit so I'll be using the 1" conduit punch for my elements.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Dry fitting. Added a timer last minute so had to order another 2way switch. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392485706.511608.jpg

More cutting I opted for a dremmel with the extension arm to cut the pid and timer holes and a jigsaw for the heat sink. Now to figure out the size screw to mount the heats ink and nut size of the grounding post.
The front
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392610312.385897.jpg
The bottom
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392610338.268929.jpg
The top
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392610353.412611.jpg

If you got the heat sink pre tapped from eBrewSupply like me the screws should be 4mm-0.7 x 10 long. I verified with him before getting some at lowes.

OT: I always see these threads, that have attached multiple pictures in a horizontal row, with a long horizontal scroll bar, and have to scroll right
to read each line of text, then left to read the next one. Generally speaking, it is too annoying for me to follow the thread.

Is there any method to get it to wrap to fit within a single monitor width? Thanks.

OT: I always see these threads, that have attached multiple pictures in a horizontal row, with a long horizontal scroll bar, and have to scroll right
to read each line of text, then left to read the next one. Generally speaking, it is too annoying for me to follow the thread.

Is there any method to get it to wrap to fit within a single monitor width? Thanks.

it all fits perfectly fine in my monitor.... What do you have your screen resolution set at ?? 800x600? that would be your problem....try one of the modern higher resolution choices if so and just increase your font size if you have trouble reading the fonts.
the pics fill barely 3/4 of my screen width.
or are you using a phone or low resolution tablet? again thats your source of the issue... you need to set the screen resolution to a high def setting as most computers and windows screens are designed to use this as default since windows xp.

it all fits perfectly fine in my monitor.... What do you have your screen resolution set at ?? 800x600? that would be your problem....try one of the modern higher resolution choices if so and just increase your font size if you have trouble reading the fonts.
the pics fill barely 3/4 of my screen width.
or are you using a phone or low resolution tablet? again thats your source of the issue... you need to set the screen resolution to a high def setting as most computers and windows screens are designed to use this as default since windows xp.

1024 x 768, which is the highest resolution this monitor can handle....

I started my eherms build yesterday and made a little progress on it. I looked at all the options out there and changed stuff around to what I wanted. My wife threw a kink in the plans this morning with 2-15 gallon stainless kettles with valves on them. So here's a few pics I've taken so far.
I would like to thank a few people for answering my questions
Ryan from ebrewsupply has great customer service and will go above and beyond to help you out.
Bobby at brewhardware was also outstanding helping me figure out the set ups on my hlt and boil kettle
Hunter306 has answered a ton of my questions also.
Thanks for the help guys.

View attachment 179352

View attachment 179353

View attachment 179354

View attachment 179355

OT: I always see these threads, that have attached multiple pictures in a horizontal row, with a long horizontal scroll bar, and have to scroll right to read each line of text, then left to read the next one. Generally speaking, it is too annoying for me to follow the thread.

1024 x 768, which is the highest resolution this monitor can handle....
I'm 100% with you on this one.

I linked the first post also and simply added new lines between the images. If they were posted that way originally they would then display properly.

Just saying....

So what do I need to do to fix these? They are displaying right for me on my phone, iPad and laptop.

Will do I'll be sure to put text between images on the next round of pictures. May be awhile before though. I'll be working the next three days 1930-600. The pids and probes should be in tomorrow. Then I have to get all the peices I need for my kettles.

Will do I'll be sure to put text between images on the next round of pictures. May be awhile before though. I'll be working the next three days 1930-600. The pids and probes should be in tomorrow. Then I have to get all the peices I need for my kettles.
You also could go back to your original post and edit it when you get a chance. That way you would see the result right away.

Auber sent me a few toys today.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392755465.716265.jpg
Also probes and cables
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392755534.974228.jpg

Happy valentines to me! My wife gets a few brownie points for this.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392766346.782860.jpg

Only "a few"? That's worthy of at least a whole bunch ... :)

So what do I need to do to fix these? They are displaying right for me on my phone, iPad and laptop.

and fine on my laptop and windows 7 computer.... my monitor is not an older though....1680 x1050 here as its the default res on my 21" lcd monitor.... Its also a modern widescreen monitor.... If someone is using an old fashioned 4x3 monitor (like 8-10 years old) the ads would prevent it from showing correctly without scrolling over as most pages are designed for 16:10 wide screen format now.... The lower the res the bigger the pics and font will be... 1024x 768 is very low.My phone and tablet are higher which is likely why they display it fine too...

I wouldnt say the OP wasnt doing it "right" just doesn't display as backwards friendly with old pcs. Its like complaining about black bars or cut off picture on an old tube tv... widescreen has been the standard for years now.
Sorry guys. I see hes "fixed" it to be more annoying to use wide screen guys now so we have to scroll up and down through his pics :p

and fine on my laptop and windows 7 computer.... my monitor is not old though....1680 x1050 here as its the default res on my 21" lcd monitor.... Its also a modern widescreen monitor.... if someone is using an old fashioned 4x3 monitor (like 8-10 years old) the ads would prevent it from showing correctly without scrolling over... the lower the res the bigger the pics and font will be... 1024x 768 is very low.... I wouldnt say the OP isnt doing it "right" just doesn't display as backwards friendly with old pcs. Its like complaining about black bars or cut off picture on an old tube tv...
Sorry guys.

And your point is???? Without a clue??????

He generously edited and fixed the issues.

And your point is???? Without a clue??????

He generously edited and fixed the issues.
point is modern web pages are designed with a format for modern wide screen monitors.... It displays fine on modern pcs and phones because they are widescreen and higher res than your pc.... You complained he wasnt doing it right..... Just like my dad used to complain that the widescreen movies dont fit right on his old 4:3 picture tube tv without cutting off the sides or shrinking with black bars..(He finally updated his tv a few years back).. So the real issue was not how he was doing it but rather it sounds like your hardware isnt up to snuff anymore.
He did not really fix anything he just made them display better on a low res square screen.... it actually makes it less convenient for the rest of us as we now have more scrolling up and down through a narrow tall post on a short wide screen.

Square peg round hole Understand? Im not trying to be difficult just trying to tell it like it is.

point is modern web pages are designed for modern wide screen monitors.... it displays fine on modern pcs and phones because they are widescreen and higher res than your pc.... You complained he wasnt doing it right..... just like my dad used to complain that the widescreen movies dont fit right on his old 4:3 picture tube tv without cutting off the sides or shrinking with black bars.... So the real issue was not how he was doing it but rather your hardware isnt up to snuff anymore.
he did not really fix anything he just made them display better on a low res square screen.... it actually makes it less convenient for the rest of us as we now have more scrolling up and down through a narrow tall post on a short wide screen.
Square peg round hole Understand?

I understand very well.

Actually I am very relieved that your arrogant attitude and aggression has chosen to attack me with your know it all attitude.

Thanks to you I am done here.

BTW - You do not have a clue.

Nuf said..

By all....

P-J

BTW: Every One needs to thank augiedoggy for sparking this.

It saves me hundreds of hours of my time every month.

Wishing everyone else my very best...

I haven't even made it to the wiring yet pj lol.

I understand very well.

Actually I am very relieved that your arrogant attitude and aggression has chosen to attack me with your know it all attitude.

Thanks to you I am done here.

BTW - You do not have a clue.

Nuf said..

By all....

P-J

BTW: Every One needs to thank augiedoggy for sparking this.

It saves me hundreds of hours of my time every month.

Wishing everyone else my very best...
arrogent? you made a comment about not having a point or a clue and I think I explained why you were having the problem pretty well... You just didnt like the answer you pryed out of me after multiple attempts to be more polite!
Was I wrong??
How exactly.... If anyone was, it was you Telling someone they posted the pictures wrong and they should edit them because the wide format layout of this web page formatted them in that manor to better fit the modern screen format! blame the webmaster! It wasnt till I and others mentioned multiple times that it was displaying fine for us and you still pushed the issue like the fault was they OP's that I Explained with the facts...
I'm sorry that you dont care for my posts telling people they can buy supplies elsewhere than auber for much less... I honestly dont understand why that offends you so much. Do you work for them or have an affiliation? I already apologized for that in the other thread. I did not bash them in anyway. I simply stated there were other brands of pids and sensors that do the same thing for less and you got all offended like you designed the auber pids yourself and I was calling them junk? Your diagrams are still just as relevant just the pin locations moved so I dont even see why it would have mattered to you.

You having such a reaction over this is a little ridiculous and honestly It seems like you picked this one just as an excuse.
You are a great value to this forum but you the one overreacting here..

I'm going to bow out gracefully from this thread and apologize formally to PJ for my Rash sounding comments.... Apparently I'm having an off day as I seem to be clashing with others a lot on this forum today... I think actually it was my failure to communicate correctly in another thread and m frustrations that have made my comments there and here more brash and less polished than normal. Also it seems you took my comment more personal and negative than I originally intended (my early comments anyway).
And for that I am Sorry. Do what you must but know I will refrain from commenting or disagreeing with your opinions in the future.

Did you already punch a hole for your element? You had mentioned a one inch conduit Punch. Just double check the one inch conduit isnt too large for your elements. The actual size of the element is 1 and a quarter inch. The size of a standard one inch conduit punch is larger than that

Sent from my C6522 using Home Brew mobile app

Did you already punch a hole for your element? You had mentioned a one inch conduit Punch. Just double check the one inch conduit isnt too large for your elements. The actual size of the element is 1 and a quarter inch. The size of a standard one inch conduit punch is larger than that

Indeed, conduit punches are measured using the inside diameter of the conduit, so a 1" conduit punch will make a hole 1.362" in diameter, larger than you want for your element. See the sizing chart here for example.

I haven't punched the hole yet but have seen where people have used the 1" conduit for elements. I'll have to read more.

What I have done is use a three quarter inch ko punch and then a unibit to step it up to inch and a quarter. Then again yesterday I cut one for a friend with a one and a quarter inch hole saw and it worked fine. Just make sure and use some cutting oil.

I haven't punched the hole yet but have seen where people have used the 1" conduit for elements. I'll have to read more.

It depends what you are using to mount the element. For the bobbym solder on tri clover the one inch conduit is perfect. For weldless I would use a 1.25 inch punch or step bit otherwise it will be hard to get leak free.

Sent from my EVO using Home Brew mobile app

Thanks for the advice guys. I've ordered the parts from bobby for qds and a pump. I have my element kits from ebrew and gonna pick up a length of tubing locally for the herms. I will be using the 1/2" conduit for my kettle valves and such. I will either use the step bit or hole saw for the elements. I hope to paint tomorrow and wire some this weekend

I find this funny.... The kettles are worth more then the ikea table they sit on. You have a great wife! Don't worry I have the same great table. Its a great table for thirty bucks!

Happy valentines to me! My wife gets a few brownie points for this.
View attachment 180394

My wife loves ikea. Thankfully there isn't one within a few hours of here.

Did some work the last two nights.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393043590.276355.jpg
Painting
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393043617.456201.jpg
Cutting the element enclosure
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393043667.398856.jpg
Mounting ssrs and heat sink.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393043717.772591.jpg
Mounting plugs
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393043760.849852.jpg
Populating
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393043786.689617.jpg

More populating
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393043922.273096.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393043945.237725.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393043964.532810.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393043989.597342.jpg
Those are the prewired plugs for temp probes from auberins.
I copied the inside of hunter306 panel for ease of wiring.

Back