My Frankenstein Cider came out Good!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoRoom4Error

Reaction score
I'm calling this one my "cheap-ass" frankenstein batch as I literally was adding anything that I had left in the cupboard that was sugary to get the OG above 1.06.

1.0 Gallon Motts
1/3 cup Turbinado Suger
1/4 cup Honey
1/4 cup Blue Agave Nectar
Champagne Yeast

Let it sit 2 weeks then racked and added 1/2 tsp of pumpkin pie spice.
Let it sit 1 week before cold crashed and bottled to .5 liter bottles.

OG 1.062
FG 1.008
Alcohol = 7.1 %

Couldn't resist last night as it was father's day so I popped the top on a cold .5 liter bottle. Wow...I was impressed. It was pretty darn good. Plenty of sweetness, lots of alcohol, the pie spice came through nicely, and it was slightly carbonated.

I was impressed because I was skeptical that Motts could produce anything that would have tasted this good. The pumpkin pie spice really adds something extra for the pallet. Mouth feel was good; maybe the agave nectar? I ended up drinking about 1.5 L of the stuff last night and woke up with ZERO hang over.

I've been making a cheap(20 bucks) cider for awhile now and love it.
4 gallons apple juice
1 gallon spring water
.5 gallon cranberry juice
2lbs brown sugar
12oz honey
Champagne yeast
8.65 abv!
Very tasty, good drinking cider

I've been making a cheap(20 bucks) cider for awhile now and love it.
4 gallons apple juice
1 gallon spring water
.5 gallon cranberry juice
2lbs brown sugar
12oz honey
Champagne yeast
8.65 abv!
Very tasty, good drinking cider

Nice! I might give that a shot. Tart? Do you let in dry out completely?

Pay no mind to the "name" I gave it... When I explained what this batch of cider was to my wife I said it was just a "frankenstein" cider since it was made with leftover motts juice I confiscated from the kids (i know... but they did have a 1 glass) and three various sugary substances that I tossed in to get the alcohol up.

It started out at 1.070 and after a week it hit 1.012, i gave it a good shake and let it sit for a few more days. Checked it sat and it was down to 1.003. Racked it then and cold crashed a gallon w/ campden tablet.

Back