My First Yeast Starter Experience: Get Some Towels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzARzz

Reaction score
I was having trouble with my brews reaching their final gravity targets, so I decided to make a stir plate using the designs and ideas of the clever folks around here on HomeBrewTalk:

stirplate-56419.jpg

I was flabbergasted when a Brown Ale I brewed on Monday started having activity only an hour after pitching. Apparently it did too good of a job because this is what I woke up to on Tuesday morning:

mess-56418.jpg

This is pic after I unclogged and sterilized the airlock, laughing all the while. The moral of the story? I'm kicking myself in the pants for not doing starters earlier and am getting a conical fermenter as soon as I can. :cross:

That's great! My first starter ended up all over the table also.
Isn't it great when a new part of the process shows real results.:rockin:

Nice job with the stir plate.

Prepare for some more ass kicking after you get some fermentation temp control.

Thanks! I got a multi-voltage power adapter from Radio Shack (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3875402&filterName=Category) which let me fine tune the speed. It was kicking off the stir bar at 12v, but lowering it to 6V made all the difference.

Fortunately I modified a 1.8cu.ft. refrigerator I had with a collar and temp controller for a Scottish Heavy I did and agree that the environmental controls make a great deal of difference. My brew room stays at 69F year round so I don't need to use the chamber all that often, but may reconsider that to "leash the beast" in the future.

Back