Trying to create yeast washing and starter directions for myself

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O-Ale-Yeah

Reaction score
I haven't washed yeast or created a starter yet but I think i'm getting close to attempting it. I've read 2 dozen blogs, and watched 3 dozen videos, and typed up some directions for myself. can you take a peek at them and see if I got it right?

Yeast harvesting

o Boil 3,000 ml of water for 15 minutes to sterilize

o If harvesting from low hopped, unfiltered, lower than 6% ABV, bottle conditioned beer cans or bottles:

o Chill 2 or 3 beers & let sit undisturbed so yeast will settle.

o Sanitize the bottles, pop the tops & pour slowly leaving the last 3 ounces for your yeast harvest.

§ If storing and not creating a starter now for a beer being brewed in a few days:

· Pour in sterile water, swirl container for 5 seconds, pour into sanitized container, allow to settle for ~40 min in refrigerator, decant clear liquid, add more sterile water, decant again, top off with sanitized water, store at 34°F for up to 6 months in darkness or go straight to making a starter.

o If harvesting from fermenter:

o Boil water for 15 minutes, cool to 70°F, add to fermenter, swish to loosen all sediment, & let settle for 60 minutes.

o Pour into glass container & allow to settle for an hour or 2.

o Decant top clear liquid, pour into pint mason jars or other container being careful to pour yeast & leave trub, add sterile water, swish, & allow to settle for 1 hour.

§ Go straight to making a starter if brewing in next 2 days or repeat above process is storing yeast for up to 6 months.

§ If storing, repeat washing process 1 to 3 times until you have a mostly clean looking top water & clean looking white-yellow yeast with no dark trub as bottom layer.

· Store at 34°F for up to 6 months.

o Tips

o Healthy yeast is lighter color, off white & putty-like.

o Build starter to 250 billion cells or 120 ml of yeast for 5.5 gal >1.06 OG brew or to 350 billion if storing 100 billion for a future beer.

o You can re-harvest & rebrew with harvested yeast for 5 to 10 generations.

o Washed yeast loses 15 to 5% viability per month depending on the initial strength & your harvesting process.

o Yeast that has been dehydrated doesn’t react well to harvesting.

o Online yeast pitch calculators can be used to determine your pitch rate specific to your type, volume, ABV, & temp of your wort. Downloaded calculators are also available. Search for homebrew_dad_yeast_calculator_v1.1

Making a starter

o Use a yeast pitch rate calculator to estimate your needed cell count.

o When settled, 2 billion cells are in each milliliter of yeast. Follow yeast washing steps to wash yeast & allow to settle to estimate cell count.

o Set yeast out to allow it to come to room temperature.

o Mix 2000 ml of water with 200 g of pale DME, 10:1, & boil for 15 minutes.

o Chill covered wort in ice bath to reach 72°F (ideal starter temp).

o Pour wort into yeast container to loosen all yeast, if needed.

o Or pour wort & yeast into larger, sanitized glass container.

o Cover with sanitized aluminum foil or with a foam bung into glass container & aerate.

o Stir as much as possible over the next 1 to 2 days by picking up container & giving it a circular swish movement or set flask on stir plate.

o Example: Build starter to 250 billion cells or 120 ml of yeast for a 5.5 gal, 1.065 beer.

o After approximately 36 hours or when yeast have settled out, you may add newly boiled & cooled wort to container to build yeast to needed count.

o Repeat step-ups every 36 hours if needing a high yeast count for a large batch of beer or beer with OG > 1.06, or for lager.

o Build cell count 100 billion over what is needed if wanting to wash & save 100 aside for next brew.

o If you’ve hit your target cell count you can store wort for up to 3 days (not desirable), or decant 80% of the liquid after the yeast have settled, then swirl into suspension & pitch into new beer batch or skip decanting & pitch the whole thing into your new brew.

o Always taste the starter, looking for sour or undesirable flavors to determine if the starter went bad.

Tips

o If storing starter for a few days before making beer, store under 3.5 inches of ~3.2% ABV/1.035 OG, low or no hop wort.

o Dry yeast is 'one & done' only harvest, wash, & start yeast that has never been dehydrated.

Relax and stop trying to make things difficult .
Have you gotten your brews consistent yet? I know you were having issues a few weeks ago. How did your Amber Ale turn out?
Want to know how I harvest yeast?
I transfer as much finished beer to the bottling bucket without disturbing the cake at the bottom of the carboy. I have a sterilized sanitized quart jar and lid on hand. swirl the entire carboy to get the yeast stirred up , looks like yellowish tan mud . Pour everything I can into the jar . Usually dont have much that wont fit. Trust me theres plenty there to kick start another batch. Lightly lid it so it doesnt spill but not tight enough it will seal either. Just like before you would hot bathe a full jar of whatever you'd can (green beans,salsa ?),going into the boiling water to pasteurize it.
Label it, with yeast strain ,maybe which beer you brewed with it and date you harvested it. Put it in the fridge . its that easy.
When you go to re-pitch that jar of yeast...set it out at room temp at the start of your next brew (that the same yeast would be used) ,decant the top portion of clear liquid if you want...which is fermented beer. Wont hurt to leave it , probably only a 1/2 cup . shake it up and pitch the entire thing. No washing, no stir plate, no guessing on how many yeast cells you have. Theres plenty. In a few hours after pitching it will be working.
If I'm not harvesting prior batch yeast , I use a dry packet of fresh.
Keep it simple.

Wow, Soulshine I really have to try this. I basically follow BeerGeek's instructions on his youtube channel, which are pretty simple, but man, this sounds almost too good to be true. I'm copying your info to my yeast notes :) Thanks again.

If you’ll use a seperatory funnel you can see the layers and remove/capture the one(s) you want.

Don't bother trying to wash yeast. Just sanitize a jar, siphon off the beer to keg or bottling bucket. Swirl to loosen the sediment and pour it into the jar. You can then store it in the fridge for several months. Use between 1/4 and 1/3 for you next batch.

You will want this to be from a lightly hopped average gravity beer. I wouldn't recommend saving yeast from a highly hopped beer or from a high ABV beer.

For saving yeast from bottles, drink the beer leaving the last 1/4 inch in the bottom. Save the yeast from several bottles. (at least 3) You will then have to do a step starter. I use 250ml for the first step using 1.025 starter wort. I then do a 500ml second step with 1.038 -1.040 starter wort. At this point I consider that I have about the same amount of yeast cells as a fresh 100 billion cell package. So I use a calculator to make the size starter I need for the beer I am brewing.

If you are using a stirplate 18-24 hours is plenty.

If you don't use the starter right away, just put the flask in the refrigerator. It will be fine for a week or two.

I've never tasted my starter. You are tasting warm, uncarbonated, no hop beer that has been fermented in terrible temperature conditions for beer......

There is no reason not to save and/or reuse dry yeast.

If you plan ahead you can package one beer, save 2/3 to 3/4 of the yeast cake and use the rest for a batch that day.

I went the route of harvesting yeast in mason jars and got tired of hearing my wife ***** of the space it takes up. I had 30 jars of harvested yeast that took up half a shelf + in the fridge.

So now I simply make a 1.8-2L starter, harvest off 500 ML into a pint mason jar, cold crash for a couple days, decant then move what I harvested into 50 ML tubes. I would then pitch the remaining starter into my wort. When it comes time to make another starter, I pitch a tube into the starter then begin the harvest again. So now I'm only keeping 50ML compared to numerous mason jars. It has worked great so far.

I brew 5.75 gal batches so keep that in mind. If you are brewing 10 gal batches then you would need a bigger starter.

Or you can freeze yeast. I use 20ml vials. 5ml yeast 5ml glycerin and 10ml water. I have a dozen different yeasts and make up 4 vials from an original starter. I have resurrected yeast saved for over 6 years.

There is a thread somewhere on HBT about freezing yeast.

I would advise putting yeast harvesting on that list of "things to learn about in the future." It is something that will save you money, but it will not produce better beer than you would with a proper starter and a fresh pack of yeast...though it does have the risk of passing along infections from one batch to the next. I would only recommend yeast harvesting if you are very confident in your sanitation and fermentation process.

I brewed for many years before I ever thought about harvesting yeast (other than a few times where I racked a batch into a yeast cake). These days I harvest yeast when I am in a mode where I am brewing several times a month and making similar beers where I want to use the same strain. If not, I will just grab a new pack.

In your case, you might be better off brewing the same beer 3 times with 3 different yeasts and trying to learn the difference they impart.

I would advise putting yeast harvesting on that list of "things to learn about in the future." It is something that will save you money, but it will not produce better beer than you would with a proper starter and a fresh pack of yeast...though it does have the risk of passing along infections from one batch to the next. I would only recommend yeast harvesting if you are very confident in your sanitation and fermentation process.

I brewed for many years before I ever thought about harvesting yeast (other than a few times where I racked a batch into a yeast cake). These days I harvest yeast when I am in a mode where I am brewing several times a month and making similar beers where I want to use the same strain. If not, I will just grab a new pack.

In your case, you might be better off brewing the same beer 3 times with 3 different yeasts and trying to learn the difference they impart.
Thanks, I'm definitely going to brew very similar batches for my next several. My first beer, an all grain, Fat Tire clone came out wonderfully.

Relax and stop trying to make things difficult .
Have you gotten your brews consistent yet? I know you were having issues a few weeks ago. How did your Amber Ale turn out?
Want to know how I harvest yeast?
I transfer as much finished beer to the bottling bucket without disturbing the cake at the bottom of the carboy. I have a sterilized sanitized quart jar and lid on hand. swirl the entire carboy to get the yeast stirred up , looks like yellowish tan mud . Pour everything I can into the jar . Usually dont have much that wont fit. Trust me theres plenty there to kick start another batch. Lightly lid it so it doesnt spill but not tight enough it will seal either. Just like before you would hot bathe a full jar of whatever you'd can (green beans,salsa ?),going into the boiling water to pasteurize it.
Label it, with yeast strain ,maybe which beer you brewed with it and date you harvested it. Put it in the fridge . its that easy.
When you go to re-pitch that jar of yeast...set it out at room temp at the start of your next brew (that the same yeast would be used) ,decant the top portion of clear liquid if you want...which is fermented beer. Wont hurt to leave it , probably only a 1/2 cup . shake it up and pitch the entire thing. No washing, no stir plate, no guessing on how many yeast cells you have. Theres plenty. In a few hours after pitching it will be working.
If I'm not harvesting prior batch yeast , I use a dry packet of fresh.
Keep it simple.
Why do many go through the process of removing as much non-yeast as possible through 2 or 3 washing steps?

If you’ll use a seperatory funnel you can see the layers and remove/capture the one(s) you want.
I saw a video on this and it definitely looked like the way to go. I'm too cheap to buy one though. :)

Last edited:
Don't bother trying to wash yeast. Just sanitize a jar, siphon off the beer to keg or bottling bucket. Swirl to loosen the sediment and pour it into the jar. You can then store it in the fridge for several months. Use between 1/4 and 1/3 for you next batch.

You will want this to be from a lightly hopped average gravity beer. I wouldn't recommend saving yeast from a highly hopped beer or from a high ABV beer.

For saving yeast from bottles, drink the beer leaving the last 1/4 inch in the bottom. Save the yeast from several bottles. (at least 3) You will then have to do a step starter. I use 250ml for the first step using 1.025 starter wort. I then do a 500ml second step with 1.038 -1.040 starter wort. At this point I consider that I have about the same amount of yeast cells as a fresh 100 billion cell package. So I use a calculator to make the size starter I need for the beer I am brewing.

If you are using a stirplate 18-24 hours is plenty.

If you don't use the starter right away, just put the flask in the refrigerator. It will be fine for a week or two.

I've never tasted my starter. You are tasting warm, uncarbonated, no hop beer that has been fermented in terrible temperature conditions for beer......

There is no reason not to save and/or reuse dry yeast.

If you plan ahead you can package one beer, save 2/3 to 3/4 of the yeast cake and use the rest for a batch that day.
You said terrible temperature conditions. I ferment brews in a 66 degree room and will probably be making starters in a 66 degree room. That won't change till I warms up outside. Think it will be okay?

I went the route of harvesting yeast in mason jars and got tired of hearing my wife ***** of the space it takes up. I had 30 jars of harvested yeast that took up half a shelf + in the fridge.
So now I simply make a 1.8-2L starter, harvest off 500 ML into a pint mason jar, cold crash for a couple days, decant then move what I harvested into 50 ML tubes. I would then pitch the remaining starter into my wort. When it comes time to make another starter, I pitch a tube into the starter then begin the harvest again. So now I'm only keeping 50ML compared to numerous mason jars. It has worked great so far.

I brew 5.75 gal batches so keep that in mind. If you are brewing 10 gal batches then you would need a bigger starter.
Do you let the yeast come to room temp before pouring them into the vials? Didn't know if that would make it easier to pour.

Do you let the yeast come to room temp before pouring them into the vials? Didn't know if that would make it easier to pour.
Once I pull the flask off the stir plate, i pour 500 ML into mason jars then cold crash for a couple days. At that point the yeast has settled to the bottom. I decant most of the wort, shake up and pour the rest into the vials, cap then into the fridge until needed.

You said terrible temperature conditions. I ferment brews in a 66 degree room and will probably be making starters in a 66 degree room. That won't change till I warms up outside. Think it will be okay?

The room will probably not be 66 year round. I always make my starters just sitting on the counter. In the summer the room may get to mid - upper 70s and fermentation temperature in the 80s. That is not good.

I have always had my fermenters inside and heat the house to 68 - 70 so I have had to cool my fermenters year round.

You really want to control the fermentation temperature of your wort. A 66 degree room is pretty good, but the actual temperature of the wort could go as high as 76 which is on the high side for many ale yeasts and way to high for lager yeasts.

I do what @Soulshine2 does and it works great. Fermentation takes off fast. If the yeast has been in the fridge for awhile, make a starter though. I just took some yeast from July, made a starter and it worked perfectly.

Other than it being cheap, why do people say not to harvest dry yeast? I've harvested US-05 and have never had any issues. I had never heard not to, though I had heard not to make a starter with dry yeast.

Wow, that funnel is a pretty cool piece of kit:
images

Is it worth getting?

Recycling your yeast cake works great, until it doesn't. Then you've got a spoiled batch of beer on your hands. IMHO, you're better off keeping many small 2ml vials of the yeast that you originally purchased, and then making a stepped starter each time from one of those. That way you're always starting with generation zero.

On the other hand, the yeast cake takes fewer steps.

I guess take your pick. There is no perfect solution.

Last edited:
A 2 ml vial of yeast will require a several step starter. IMO, an equal chance of infection as using a yeast cake. Take your chances either way... YMMV

Back