My First Smartphone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksbrain

Reaction score
I am on Verizon. My wife has had a Blackberry for a few years now, but I have a phone that really just makes phone calls (sure it has a camera, but...)

Now she's got her sights set on an iPhone, and I am feeling like joining the smartphone club.

But I'm a bit confused.

Originally I wanted a free phone, but it seems like all the free phones are Blackberries, and everyone I've talked to hates Blackberry.

So Android it is, then...

LG Vortex is cheapest at $30, but reviews make it seem pretty cheezy. The phrase "entry level" comes up a lot.

HTC Incredible and Motorola Droid X are both $70, but I've heard the Droid X is a spam magnet and the Incredible is near end of life. But I'm not sure either of these assessments are all that accurate.

Then there's the Samsung Fascinate at $100, which comes highly recommended and sounds good, except for the price. Remember, I wanted a free phone.

So at the moment, I'm leaning towards Incredible, but I'd rather spend less if I could, but at the same time, if the Incredible is almost obsolete, maybe it's worth a few extra bucks for the Fascinate. But then again everyone seems to love HTC.

Or should I just pony up the cash for the iPhone?

Any advice is welcome. Hopefully it converges on a solution.

Stick with android and realize these types of phones cost money, they do everything. If you want free, stop looking at hand held computers that happen to make phone calls (smartphones). And have you priced data plans? Better open your wallet back up:)

I have had "smartphones" forever. Palm Treo 600, 650, 700, blackberries of wide variety, Droid, Incredible, Droid X, and now the Iphone.

THe easiest phone for you to adapt to would be the iPhone. I am not sure what is meant by "spam magnet" about the X.

One thing to consider with basically ALL of the droid options.... there battery life is horrible. You will have to charge EVERY night. THe iphone will go 2 days-ish.

yeah, have to second the battery life statement. sometimes, if I use my phone a lot or it struggles to find signal, it's dead by 4pm. my roommates iphen still has like 80% at that point. I think I charge my ipod touch like once every 4ish days.

IPHONE - has to be the best mix of easiest to use platform, refinement in feel (apple has been doing this forever) and function. I will never go back to any other smartphone, ever. I opted to leave Verizon for ATT over it.

My droid incredible can easily last a full day with moderate use, and would definitely last 2 days with light use.

BTW, dDon't use an app-killer with an android phone. It's kills the battery even faster because the apps auto open again every few minutes and the phone opens and closes programs all day, thus killing the battery. Droid phones don't operate like windows programs, so it's OK to leave apps on all the time.

I'd definitely look at a 4G phone though. It's the new standard. 3g is great, but it's gonna be obsolete soon.

I got an Incredible like it a lot except for the battery life. But it is something I am learning manage.

The Incredible is only "near the end of its life" b/c it is being replaced by the 4g Thunderbolt. But, that means deals are to be made. I got mine for free, $0, around the first of the year. I bet you can find a free deal out there somewhere.

Here is where I got mine: http://www.targetmobilestore.com
Driod X is free ATM.

Here:

first-wireless-phonemotorola-dynatac-8000x.jpg

This one doesn't have any battery issues...:D:D

The question you have to ask yourself, is what are you planning on using it for? If your jumping on the bandwagon just on principle, then I wouldn't bother. If you buy a smartphone with Verizon, you HAVE to buy the data plan for $30. I got my Droid shortly after it came out and was hesitant about the extra expense. But after I bought it, I realized I used it for what its worth much more than I thought I would, but I can still easily live without it. I'll occasionally look stuff up on the internet, but most of what I end up looking up is my checking account balances. I'll download a couple of apps for games when I'm bored, but I usually end up deleting them a couple days later. Cool games, but I get bored with them quickly. The biggest thing that I use it for other than phone calls is music. I don't carry an MP3 player anymore because I carry it in my phone. If you're anything like me, then as long as the phone is reliable and won't crash on you, then any of them will be fine as a starter phone.

Another thought is to pick something up used on craigslist so you don't get bound in a contract. That way you could see whether you would really use it and what features are really important. Or, play around with some friend's phones, see how quickly you get bored with them.

I ended up getting a samsung galaxy. It was smaller and cheaper than the fascinate. But it seems to be just as good. I'm pretty happy so far!

This post was made with the speech to text feature.

Pretty cool.

Thanks for the input everybody

My Samsung captivate does everything the iPhone does and for much less cost. I don't have any battery issues either, unless I play games.

Just for the record I LOVE my blackberry. And so does everyone else I know who has one. They are not for everybody though (not very blingy), but they work very well.

I had a Droid X last time and hated it with a fiery passion as it was always messing up. Plus I don't like touch screens, so my Blackberry Bold is perfect for me.

I like my Droid. I use it for FB, Ebook reader, Brew Timer, To-do list, messaging, surfing.

The battery can drain pretty quickly compared to a non-smart phone, but most people I know have a charger ready all the time, so it is rarely a problem. And you have to watch out for some apps that can drain your battery way too quickly.

The Fascinate has been offered for free in the past but those were for new accounts.

I have a Fascinate and imo it's OK for the 'smartphone' duties but it kind of sucks as a regular ole phone. Very distorted on both ends. And Verizon or Samsung or both really delayed the promised 2.2 Froyo update and then really screwed up the update when it finally was pushed. My phone STILL won't update but based on all the problems, I'm probably fortunate. After this experience I will do everything I can to never use Verizon again.

THe iphone will go 2 days-ish.

And if you hold it like a phone, you won't get any signal.

Android FTW.

I have an HTC Hero (rather OLD android hardware at this point) and its still rockin every day.

It was $150 AFTER my 2 year renewal discount.

The data plan is the painful part really.

malkore said:
And if you hold it like a phone, you won't get any signal.

Android FTW.

I have an HTC Hero (rather OLD android hardware at this point) and its still rockin every day.

It was $150 AFTER my 2 year renewal discount.

The data plan is the painful part really.

Only if you're dumb enough not to get a good case, otterbox ftmfw

Data plan is only painful if you dont have unlimited data. I'm grandfathered in, used 15 gigs last month streaming Netflix at work.

Back