My First Saison - Feedback Requested

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meadsupporter

Reaction score
Since it is the holiday season i have decided to do a spiced Saison.

Having never done a saison I have a recipe in mind.

Extract Batch:

Grain/ Malts

5 Lbs Pilsner Dry Extract

1.6 Lbs Wheat Dry Extract

1 Lbs Aromatic malt [steeped]

1 Lbs Caravienne malt [steeped]

8ozs / .5 Lbs Crystal 20L

8 ozs Belginan candi sugar 0L [liquid]

Hops

1ozs East Kent goldings 60 min boil

.50 ozs Czech Saaz at 10 min boil

.50 ozs French Strisslespalt at 10 min boil

.50 ozs Czech Saaz at 2 min boil

.50 ozs French Strisslespalt at 2 min boil

Spices

.5 oz Grains of paradise seed at 5 min boil

.5 oz Coriander seed at 5 min boil

.5 oz Bitter orange peel at 5 min boil

Yeast

Wyeast French Saison 3711

Expected OG of 1.064 and FG of 1.011 with approx 20-25 IBU's

I have (I think) the malt/ grain bill at about where I want; it but I am still a little iffy of the amount of spices and the types of hops to be used. Your imput will be helpful

3711 is a beast, I think your FG will be lower. What temps are you fermenting at? There are a couple of good threads on 3711. My crazy Saison went from 1.092 to 1.003. I used grains of paradise, it was a bit intense. Now after about 10 months it has mellowed. I will look at recipe and report later as to quanity. Good luck.

Brewtah: I am not currently making this brew but i was think of fermenting at room tempature of 76F - 78 F. I know saison likes warmer temps so the is good news for my IPA that needs to be a bit cooler in a limitied space fridge.

Update: [sort of]

since my local brew store is knda short on the French Strisslespalt hops i was thinking of subbing for Crystal.

and I may use liquid plisner insted of the dry malt to lower the OG a bit to 1.057 and get a tad more bitterness out of my hops without having to buy a second pouch.

All in all I think I need a beer.

Brewtah: I am not currently making this brew but i was think of fermenting at room tempature of 76F - 78 F. I know saison likes warmer temps so the is good news for my IPA that needs to be a bit cooler in a limitied space fridge.

A lot of people start their Saisons a bit lower and then ramp them up. I think there is a lot temp varities with 3711.

Latest posts

Back