My first recipe: YSP IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidHawman

Reaction score
So this is my first recipe and I just tasted the sample I used to get my FG and it seems to have some promise. Thought I'd post it here for critiques and thoughts. I realize now to just go with the base malt extract and steep specialty grains so I probably didn't need the dark malt.

I wanted a beer that was both hoppy and higher ABV. I also wanted to see what high AA hops would taste like as both bittering and flavor additions. This beer was more of a "proof of concept" beer that showed I could make beer twice and also just see what would happen if I created my own recipe.

YSP(Yakima, Simcoe, Palisades) IPA

5 gallon
OG: 1.072
FG: 1.020
7.1% ABV

6# Northern Brewer Munich LME
3# Northern Brewer Dark LME
1# Caramel 60L steeped at ~150 for 30 minutes

4.5 gallon avg. boil, topped off to 5 gallons

60 min: 1 oz Yakima Magnum 14.4
15 min: 0.5 oz Yakima Magnum 14.4
15 min: 0.5 oz Simcoe 12.2
5 min: 1 oz Palisades 6.7
5 min: 0.5 oz Yakima Magnum 14.4
5 min: 0.5oz Simcoe 12.2

Safbrew S-33 dry yeast rehydrated and pitched at 68F and fermented at 65-68F.

I tasted the very green beer(1 week since brew day) and it was interesting. Didn't have enough sample to taste to figure out the flavors but the hops didn't seem to be punishing my taste buds all that much. It definitely had some good flavors and aroma though.

Definitely tastes very drinkable and hopefully as it sits for 2 more weeks it will just get better. My plan is to let this sit in the primary for 3 weeks and then bottle condition for at least another month. :rockin:

Thoughts?

Looks fine to me!

Well, except for the dark extract, but you knew that already. ;) Actually, you're only slightly off the high end of the chart for the style. Who knows? You might like what it brings to the table and decide to keep it! Don't discard it just because the trend is to use pale extracts only.

I think it's going to be very, very bitter, that's for sure. ~93 IBU bitter. Yikes. Not my preferred pint, but it ain't my beer. :D

Have fun!

Bob

I think it's going to be very, very bitter, that's for sure. ~93 IBU bitter. Yikes. Not my preferred pint, but it ain't my beer. :D

Have fun!

Bob

Oh I have no intentions of dumping it. It'll get drunk to the last drop.
:cross:

And I like bitter beers from time to time, cant drink them all the time but sometimes you just need to clean out your taste buds. :mug:

Back