My first recipe. What do you think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dradis

Reaction score
I just threw this recipe together in order to have something to do with some extra pilsner malt. It looks like it'll be very light in color and mild bitterness, which is what i'm going for. I haven't made it yet, just wondering if anyone has thoughts or suggestions. :mug:

Recipe: Pilsner Malt Recipe 1
Brewer: Patrick
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.52 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.98 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.86 gal
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 4.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 34.2 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 82.8 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
7 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 73.7 %
2 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 2 21.1 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.3 %
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 19.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Liberty [4.30 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 5 11.4 IBUs
0.50 oz Liberty [4.30 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 3.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Liberty [4.30 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 8 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 9 lbs 8.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 11.88 qt of water at 168.2 F 156.0 F 45 min
Mash Out Add 4.75 qt of water at 202.4 F 168.0 F 10 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 3.75 gal water at 168.0 F
Notes:
------

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems like a nice blonde ale to me. Nothing fancy, but it should be decent. I'm not sure what the Liberty hops are like, but if you like them you'll probably like the beer.

Looks good, I think the cascade will help bring out the citrus notes and the liberty will give it a nice spicy finish. Let us know how it turns out.

Looks like a decent recipe to me. The only thing I'd change is taking out the 30 minute addition and saving it for a late hop addition. Like at 5 or 0. Then adjust you're amounts however is needed to maintain the IBU level. For instance, adding a little extra at the 60 or 15 mark to compensate for the loss of the 30 min addition.

This would give you a more noticeable hop aroma. Which I personally prefer in a pale ale.

156 seems a bit high to me for a blond or pale ale. That's even higher than I mash my porters and stouts. Personally I'd do 150 but I like my light beers dry

yeah I had no idea how much a few degrees difference would make for mash temps when I started. Like if you try to make a Black IPA and mash at 154 as opposed to like 148, you'll end up with a hoppy stout

Brewed it yesterday, mashed at 150. I think it'll turn out pretty well. I'll post back after I get to taste it.

I would've boiled for 90min to avoid DMS since you used pilsner. Everything else looks good, maybe extend the mash time to 60min since you mashed at 150. I'm sure it will turn out great either way.

I actually did both of those. 60/45 for boil/mash are just defaults in beer smith and I hadn't bothered to change them. I also didn't bother doing a mash out since it went strait to the boil. Thanks for the feedback.

Latest posts

Back