My first recipe : Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rotule

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I just have made my first own recipe and I would like to present it to knowledgable people in order to make sure there is no aberations in it. (too much or too less of one grains for any reasons) I can take critism and I think I can really learn from it :p

Here is the recipe :

Method: BIAB
Style: Robust Porter
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 14 liters (fermentor volume)
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)

Original Gravity: 1.062
Final Gravity: 1.015
ABV (standard): 6.08%
IBU (tinseth): 27.62
SRM (morey): 39.48

1.945 kg Canadian - Pale 2-Row 50%
0.6 kg German - Munich Light 15.4%
0.32 kg German - CaraMunich I 8.2%
0.35 kg German - Carafa I 9%
0.175 kg Belgian - Chocolate 4.5%
0.5 kg German - CaraFoam 12.9%
3.89 kg Total

Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU
11.45 g Perle Pellet 7.8 Boil 60 min 15.62
11.45 g Perle Pellet 7.8 Boil 30 min 12

White Labs - German Ale/ Kölsch Yeast WLP029

I was thinking of adding Vanilla beans to half of the batch in secondary (two small fermentors)

I have had "head retention lacking" in my last few batch so I jumped up CaraFoam a little bit.

Let me know what you think :)

Thanks a lot!

I'd use about a quarter of that amount of carafoam and replace the other 3 quarters with pale malt.

What way are you trying to do? It is a strange mix between a (very dark, maybe strong) traditional brown porter and a Baltic porter. If I was going for a brown porter I'd drop the carafa and lower the OG a bit, keep IBU the same; if I was going for a 'robust' porter I'd drop half of the chocolate malt and raise the IBU to around 45-55; if I was going for a Baltic porter I'd entirely remove the chocolate malt and keep everything else the same.

I like the idea of it being the base for a Baltic porter, even the choice of yeast would be pretty good:
- 2.4KG pale malt
- 0.6KG light Munich
- 0.35KG Caramunich I
- 0.25KG Carafa I
- 0.15KG Carafoam

I'm going to ask the same question as JKaranka, "What are you trying to do?" Are you using the Munich to bump up the flavor of bland pale malt? If so I'd opt for a more richly flavored base malt like a UK pale instead of North American. Also agree with JK that the CaraPils should be reduced. I'm going to second his other malt suggestions as well.

I'd like it to be a dark robust porter, I love dark beers the most. I don't mind it to be on the stout side either, but I want to learn :p

For the munich, I just drank some of this : http://beaus.ca/beer/burnt-rock/
and I loved it and I tought "I should try and do something with the same malts"

I put canadian 2-row in there instead of german pale as I have some in stock and it's mainly what I use. Its almost half the price of the Uk 2-row here so I just mainly use this... maybe a chance to try the UK 2-row or german pale. I was thinking of Maris Otter as well.

I feel like I would have to brew the same recipe hundreads of time with 1 grain change at a time to understand really how each grain fells and taste.

I'll drop Carafoam down to 4%ish and do half the chocolate. As recommended, I wil lalso bump the bittering hops and change the time of flavoring hops down to 15 mins.

I love the inputs Thanks for them :)

Here is what I would have for now,

Original Gravity: 1.062
Final Gravity: 1.016
IBU (tinseth): 47.54
SRM (morey): 35.47

Fermentables
2.4 kg Canadian - Pale 2-Row 61.4%
0.6 kg German - Munich Light 15.3%
0.32 kg German - CaraMunich I 8.2%
0.35 kg German - Carafa I 9%
0.09 kg Belgian - Chocolate 2.3%
0.15 kg German - CaraFoam 3.8%
3.91 kg Total

Hops
30 g Perle Pellet 7.8 Boil 60 min 40.79 IBU
10 g Perle Pellet 7.8 Boil 15 min 6.75 IBU

It's hard to know exactly what the origin of the Burnt Rock malts are but if they're using German specialty malts it's not a big leap to assume they're using German base malts too. With that in mind I'd try to use German or UK pale here but if domestic is what you have then go with it.

Here's my WAG on the malt bill:

2.75 Kg pale malt
500g Munich malt
80g CaraFoam
120 g CaraMunich
360 g Chocolate
80 g Carafa

Use your first hop schedule, ~24g total

I do know they only use German Malts (I've went visit them and I threw a lot of questions :p )

Back