My first recipe! Comments? Concerns? (American Brown Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicparish

Reaction score
5 Gallon Batch

* 2 Row - 5 lbs
* Victory (us) - 2 lbs
* Caramel 80L - 2lbs
* Flaked oats - 1 lb
* Chocolate - .5 lb

Hops

* Fuggle 1 oz - 60 Min
* Nugget .5 oz - 15 Min

Yeast

* U.S. West Coast

EDIT:Bugget to Nugget Hops...

You've got over 50% specialty malts there. I would personally drop the victory to 0.5 lb, drop the crystal to about 1 or 1.25 lbs (putting you in the 10-12% range) and even consider doing part of that with a lower L crystal. Then make all those reductions up with base malt. If you like the slickness of oats that's fine, I don't use them much myself except in the occasional stout. If going for more body I tend to use flaked barley.

I assume those are Nugget hops? ;)

You've got over 50% specialty malts there. I would personally drop the victory to 0.5 lb, drop the crystal to about 1 or 1.25 lbs (putting you in the 10-12% range) and even consider doing part of that with a lower L crystal. Then make all those reductions up with base malt. If you like the slickness of oats that's fine, I don't use them much myself except in the occasional stout. If going for more body I tend to use flaked barley.

I assume those are Nugget hops? ;)

Thanks for the reply! Yes I did mean Nugget hops! hahaha

I'll give the flaked barley a try! Definitely was trying to pick up some body.

Back