My first partial Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noodle23

Reaction score
So guys i did my first partial mash a few weeks ago for a beer that Im entering into comp. (brave or stupid move) Anyway the beer came out awesome but my process was some what strange.

I did all the grains in one bag, which i have learned is more common than i thought and put them in the same kettle as my my boil was in.

I "mashed" them in the kettle for 60min at 155f and kept the heat on the wort the whole time.

and when that was done i pulled the bag out and rinsed it off with the cold water from the hose and poured that back into the wort.

Now my question is:
is there a name for this kind of process or is it nuts? Also are there any places where i could have really screwed up the beer.

I believe it is commonly being referred to as BIAB (Brew in a bag) and you have just done a MBIAB (mini-brew in a bag... I may have just coined a new acronym, I don't know). There is really no place you could have screwed up the beer with your methodology. Not anymore so than with a regular mini-mash or extract brew. I question your rinse with cold water versus hot, but in the end I doubt it mattered.

Your rinse would have been similar to a sparge of sorts, and therefore hot water would do better to rinse the remaining sugars out of the grain bag... In theory. Also, in theory, holding the wort at 168F for a few minutes would be liking mashing out and halted sugar conversion. But crossing that threshold as you brought the wort up to boiling almost surely did that for you. So I will repeat my prior statement, I think you did just fine. Good luck on your competition!

Yeah, what tjpfeister said. You just did a BIAB, pretty standard - except the extract was partial rather than full. Should be good.

Back