My First Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

remuS

Reaction score
This is my pale ale recipe. In fact, this is my 2nd batch of beer ever. My first batch was a brown ale kit so I don't know exactly what was in it. It turned out a little too sweet for me.

What does everyone think about this recipe I did for a pale ale:

7 lb Ultra Light LME
2 lb Crystal 15
.5 lb Honey Malt
Northern Brewer @60
Willamette @15
Cascade @1
Nottingham Yeast

I let the water heat up to 165 and steeped the grains for 20 minutes in 2 gal water with the burner off. I then rinsed the grains with 1 gallon water at 160 degrees.

How does this sound?

Already brewed it, huh? I think you're going to get one carmelly-tasting beer. That's an awful lot of crystal for any recipe. The honey malt might be a bit much, too, but it might suit your taste. I like the hop choices, but how much of each did you use?

2oz of each hop. Also I forgot to mention that I used 1 lb of DME.

the seven pounds is pushing the upper end of the OG limits for that style (if that matters) I am assuming that this is 5gallons. Personally i like a higher apha acid hop at 30 min (like chinook) and no 60 minute hop, but i llike super hoppy beers, but 2 pounds of crystal is a lot.
CHEERS!
:mug:

Back