My first one down the drain...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BADCL0WN

Reaction score
I lost one yesterday. One of the AHB $20 kits. The IPA. One minute it was there, the next minute I was pouring it down the gutter.

Just as I was finished chilling, I picked up my floating thermometer, and one slip of the hand...smack. I dropped it back into the pot and it broke.

I stood there for a second. In shock. Wondering wtf just happened. I stared into the pot for a good two minutes. Then I picked it up, walked it outside and dumped it in the sewer. I am still in shock a little. Sigh.

This was my first dump. Many batches. Some good, some bad, some great even. But a dumper just plain sucks.

Someone let me know how the IPA turns out. On second thought, maybe not.

Sigh.

I probably would have continued with the brew, then filtered out the glass, but a little late for that now, huh?

I'm a little confused. It was a floating thermometer that broke when dropped into liquid? Or, you dropped it into an empty pot and then dumped the beer because this was a sign of bad moojoo? Either way sorry for your loss, a dumped batch is a bad day.

DUDE! The same thing happened to me, but the steel shot and everything settled at the bottom of the wort before I transferred it into the primary...Guess what...when I transferred to secondary: no shot....I am drinking that brew now and it is great...

We have all been there & we are sorry for your loss...our prayers are with you & your recently departed brew....I feel like I should bring you a cassorole or something...

That is why i do not have a glass thermometer. and why my hydro readings do not take place near the brew. Sorry for your loss.

Im playing "Taps " for your loss right now. May I suggest a 21 ounce salute?

Thanks for all the well wishes.

For those asking, it was a glass floating thermometer dropped into the full pot of cooled wort after taking a final temp reading. Glass, shot, and the actual thermometer inside broke.

Pouting. Still. :(

I feel ya bro. I dumped my first ipa. I was using cold packs to cool the wort and there was a hole in one of them. The gell inside fell into the wort. I wanted to cry. My prays are with you. But you can try again I did the next day.

Planing: Rare Old Mountain Dew (wheat and rye beer)
Primary: Dont Cry For Wheat Argentina (hefe with argentina cascade)
Secondary: ChaI.P.A
Drinking: Unnamed Ale

Back