My First Lager, fermenation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I brewed my first lager 3 days ago. According to the instructions (this was an extract Pilsner kit) I was too leave the fermenter at room temps (approx 65ºF) for 3-4 days then drop the temp down to 50 ºF for 4 weeks. I know that it is important to move the lagers to a secondary fermenter to remove the trub. When should I be moving to the secondary? Any other words of wisdom for a lager newbie?

Thanks a lot!

Those instructions sound flat out wrong for a lager. At 65 degrees, the yeast will ferment that beer very quickly. I would have pitched the yeast when the yeast and wort were at approximately 50 degrees F and fermented at that temp for 10 days. Then raise to room temp for 3-4 days, then transferred to secondary and lower to lagering temps (32-40 Degrees F) for 4 weeks. The instructions you have sound like they are for a steam beer (lager fermented at ale temps). If you are going to transfer to a secondary, you can do that after it has reached FG, then cool it to lagering temps.

Which yeast did they give you with that kit? It does sound like you are headed for a steam beer, not that there's anything wrong with them.

John

There are also plenty of arguments out there stating you can lager in the primary no problem.... Not saying who's right or wrong as I haven't tried yet, its just another thing to think about.

The instructions seemed a bit strange, that's why I asked. Maybe I should have asked sooner! Yeast is Saflager S-23. I will cool it down to 50 now, and transfer to the secondary once it has reached FG. I should be able to get it below 40 for lagering.

I have brewed a steam beer before. It was good, I won't be heart broken if I have to drink my mistakes and try it again! Thanks for the replies.

I just racked 2 lagers .... My primary temp was around 53 I am now stepping the freezer down to 34-36 for the actual lagering process

There are also plenty of arguments out there stating you can lager in the primary no problem.... Not saying who's right or wrong as I haven't tried yet, its just another thing to think about.

I agree completely... My method of transferring to a secondary for lageriing is just what I prefer, but you are right that you certainly can lager in the primary. Now my ales, I never secondary unless I am adding something like dry hops, oak, or fruit.:mug:

I agree completely... My method of transferring to a secondary for lageriing is just what I prefer, but you are right that you certainly can lager in the primary. Now my ales, I never secondary unless I am adding something like dry hops, oak, or fruit.:mug:

Do you a general time line for lagers under 1.060? Like 10 days at 54 the a one day d rest, then lager for 30 days???
I'm doing a Munich helles that'll be 1.050 using the wyeast Munich lager yeast that will go into a starter.

Do you a general time line for lagers under 1.060? Like 10 days at 54 the a one day d rest, then lager for 30 days???
I'm doing a Munich helles that'll be 1.050 using the wyeast Munich lager yeast that will go into a starter.

Yes, scroll up to post #2.... that is my standard time line. In fact that is exactly how I do my Munich Helles', my oktoberfest's, and pilsners.

My only difference between yours, is that I ferment a few degrees cooler, and diacetyl rest a couple days longer. That Wyeast Munich Lager is one of my favorites, BTW.

Back