My first label

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatBaldBeerGuy

Reaction score
Got an American Wheat kit with my brewing kit this Christmas so I was playing around with label ideas and wanted some opinions on this one.

I was trying to give it that "Standard Issue" Military type feel, hope you like it (but be honest either way :D )

:mug:

American Wheat.jpg

Yes, cool label.

Dave: Also love the Scrat Brewing name. could have some fun with that name :)

Thanks it's a nickname from work? What sort of fun are you thinking? I'm always up or new creative ideas.

It looks very busy to me. Also, what do you have against Alaska and Hawaii? Lastly, and this is simply fyi, it is a violation of (I think a very stupid) federal law to use the American flag in advertising.

I was thinking you meant Scrat the saber toothed squirrel from the Ice Age movies. Of course there would have to be a nut brown ale (Scrat is always after an acorn in the movies). A Crash and Eddie dopel, a wooly mammoth stout, etc

Lol that actually is what my nickname is after. I'm in sales and they assign everybody a character to send out whenever you make a deal. You're the first person to make a reference to it though. I have IPA that I referred to as lost nut.

It looks very busy to me. Also, what do you have against Alaska and Hawaii? Lastly, and this is simply fyi, it is a violation of (I think a very stupid) federal law to use the American flag in advertising.

Thanks for the input; and to answer your questions

- Nothing against Alaska or Hawaii at all; the basic image I started from was that of George C. Scott's "Patton". The 49th and 50th stars were not added to the US flag until 1959 and 1960; so during Patton's time there were still only 48 ;)

Patton_flag.jpg

-You are completely correct about the flag in advertising, however. I was designing this label as a bit of a homage to my wife's and my service (she is retired Air Force and I was Army) and felt the Flag was an acceptable way to display that. That does not justify its use here; but I figure at least I know I'll be actually caring for it better than most people out there do :mug:

with 4 kids I've seen those movies more times than I can count. Was thinking when I make a doppel bock I would have to decide whether to use Crash and Eddie or my 7 year old twins for the label.

I like it! I can see the busy that people are talking about but (for me anyway) my eyes went directly to the flag, up to your logo from there, then down to the title of the beer. I think it works well.

The whole deal with the law against using the flag in advertising is a "Out of Respect" law that actually reads: You can't place our flag on anything that you are to throw away after use. Paraphrasing of course but that's for napkins, news papers, product boxes etc, which then rolls downhill to everything related.

With that said, in my humble opinion, after your service to our country you and your wife can fly that flag wherever, and however you da*n well please. :D

With that said, in my humble opinion, after your service to our country you and your wife can fly that flag wherever, and however you da*n well please. :D

+1

The rules/laws on the flag are supposed to be about respecting the symbol. I would rather see a vet put one on a beer bottle, than some people flying one in their yard.

Back